HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gourdistheword

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've already applied to dental school for this 2017-2018 cycle and I'm interested in the navy. I know it's kind of late, but I just started talking to a recruiter just to get the facts straight. They got the ball rolling pretty fast, and they want me to send in all my stuff for this year's boards. However, I'm more interested in the 3 year HPSP than the 4 year, and what the recruiter explained to me was that the 3 years are only for the people who apply in March who don't get the scholarship and then get supported by the Bureau of Medicine. Should I tell my recruiter I'm more interested in the 3 year program? Should I just apply in March 2018? If I apply in March does that decrease my chance of getting any scholarship? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Your recruiter is correct. The Navy holds the 3 year awards for those recommended for the 4 year, but did not receive the scholarship due to quotas. You can't apply for the 4 year and ask to be awarded a 3 year.
It's fine if you're more interested in the 3 year, but chances are you will not get it in the Navy. You may be better off applying to either the other services, or go for the 4 year award.

Reactions: 1 user
The Army usually has a good number of slots for three year applicants (more then the other branches usually) On the Army side everyone has to re-board for the slot so it is fair game. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Every branch is different and you get different options but I would try and speak to a Navy AF and Army recruiter individually