HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it bad that i want to apply to all three branches for hpsp? is there any disadvantage of doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

The only person that would discourage applying to all three branches would be a recruiter. Everyone else would think it's a good idea to apply to more than one. I applied to two branches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From a healthcare recruiter- yes we hate it but the good ones have no issue with it. We know it is in your best interest. PS- you don't have to tell the recruiter your applying to more then one branch.

How does applying for more than one branch work? Do you go to MEPS multiple times?

Which is how the recruiter will find out if you're applying to other branches

When we request a phys from MEPS that you have already taken we get a "copy" from MEPS. The previous recruiter will never find out unless he goes back to MEPS to get something else out of the record and realizes it has been signed out by another branch.

When we request a phys from MEPS that you have already taken we get a "copy" from MEPS. The previous recruiter will never find out unless he goes back to MEPS to get something else out of the record and realizes it has been signed out by another branch.
So in this case, I would have to go to MEPS with a branch before speaking to another branch about the scholarship or else both branches would try to schedule a MEPS appointment?

So in this case, I would have to go to MEPS with a branch before speaking to another branch about the scholarship or else both branches would try to schedule a MEPS appointment?

You can start working both branches at the same time. The branch you don't want to know your applying with another branch should do the MEPS physical. After the phys is complete and they have their own copy then the second branch requests a copy as well. The second branch will know that you are applying for two.

From a healthcare recruiter- yes we hate it but the good ones have no issue with it. We know it is in your best interest. PS- you don't have to tell the recruiter your applying to more then one branch.
How difficult is it to get through MEPS with history of food allergy as a child? Any tips/suggestions? Have one med school acceptance in hand. Thanks.

How difficult is it to get through MEPS with history of food allergy as a child? Any tips/suggestions? Have one med school acceptance in hand. Thanks.
You just have to show a record of it or write a memorandum saying you had an allergy and it subsided. Not hard at all!

is it bad that i want to apply to all three branches for hpsp? is there any disadvantage of doing this?

I applied to three. 3/4 of the way through process army called me and said they wouldn’t push my packet through unless I said I wouldn’t take the other two branches if I was accepted there. I said I wanted to keep my options open so they decided not to put me through. I understand they don’t wanna do a lot of work for the chance that they won’t get paid for it. They also tried to call my Air Force recruiter and tell them I was not interested in them anymore. Very unprofessional and rude. They also got my birthday ssn major and college wrong on my application and wrote that I had a publication out already which was not true.

Point: tell each branch that they are your top choice and make the decision later otherwise they will get territorial. You need to look out for yourself and they need to make you look good to get selected.

What area are you located in? I was salt lake area

Last edited:
I applied to three. 3/4 of the way through process army called me and said they wouldn’t push my packet through unless I said I wouldn’t take the other two branches if I was accepted there. I said I wanted to keep my options open so they decided not to put me through. I understand they don’t wanna do a lot of work for the chance that they won’t get paid for it. They also tried to call my Air Force recruiter and tell them I was not interested in them anymore. Very unprofessional and rude. They also got my birthday ssn major and college wrong on my application and wrote that I had a publication out already which was not true.

Point: tell each branch that they are your top choice and make the decision later otherwise they will get territorial. You need to look out for yourself and they need to make you look good to get selected.

What area are you located in? I was salt lake area

That is just a poor recruiter you have. Sorry about your experience, with that many mistakes they obviously don't care about their current job.

Is doing ROTC or National Guard prior to HPSP discouraged? I am interested in those programs but I want HPSP more, so I am not sure how it would affect my process.

It's pretty much your call. ROTC is a time-suck while studying. NG is a commitment that will last you YEARS and while in the NG, there is always the very real issue of being deployed if your unit gets the call. You could be stuck in the middle of the state, handing out meals during a natural disaster, or, could be called overseas for an undetermined amount of time.

ROTC has it's own intricacies. You will sign a contract that states for X amount of scholarship, you will owe X amount of years in the Service of choice. Most will ask for an educational delay. This means that you defer your X amount of years, while in dental school. If you apply for and get accepted to the HPSP, you will have that X amount of years added to the scholarship for HPSP. In other words, you do four years ROTC, apply for an ed delay, apply for and get accepted to HPSP for four years of Dental school, at the end of it all your will owe eight years on active duty after graduating dental school.

It sounds like you are going to be starting your undergrad. If that is the case, you are now trying to see the future 16 years from now...

Reactions: 2 users