Hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daver

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently on or going to be on the military HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program)? My question is: since this pays all tuition and fees, is it possible to get grants and other fin. aid on top of that to offset living expenses that the ever so generous stipend does cover? Trying to provide for a family of four and $1300/month doesn't cut it.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on HPSP at the Univ of MD. I could have taken out loans as part of a financial aid package (but in the end I decided against it...but I'm not trying to provide for a family of four either). You will probably be limited to unsubsidised loans though.

I did a 3 yr Army HPSP for Optometry school. Your total budget is based upon what the school sets, and the HPSP funds only count toward tuition and fees. The budget usually includes living expenses, but the stipend wasn't entered when they determined my finanical aid eligibility. So I was eligible for some other scholarships and loans. If your budget includes an EFC (expected family contributions) that exceeds what you can reasonably do, then fill out an appeal. Your student affairs office should be able to help you with this.