Hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeh27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, I have already been accepted to med school and I wanted to know if anyone knew how to go about applying for the Health Professionals Scholarship Program. It is something I am very interested in and if anyone out there has already been through the process or if someone is going through the process right now, I would really appreciate some feedback as to what my first step should be as far as applying for this scholarship. I am interested in the Navy's HPSP. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand contacting a navy recruiter should be able to help you with applying to HPSP.

i am in the process of navy hpsp application right now. you should contact your local recruiter, and they will put you in touch with the recruiters for HPSP. They recruit separately because HPSP is an officer program.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah you definitly want to contact a recruiter who is specificially for health-professionals or HPSP. they'll get all your forms and things started. answers to any other questions you have may already be in the forums. do a search on HPSP in this forum, the financial aid forum, or in the military residency forum. HPSP is a sweet opportunity, but you probably won't be happy if you are doing it just for the $.

I am doing it as well, although through the air force.
I think if you want to know anything specific (besides from talking to the recruiter) you should ask us specific questions. Again, do not do it just for the money, as you WILL regret it. Do a search on yahoo for hpsp and luke ballard and it will give you a great site written by someone with firsthand experience.
good luck

Calling a Navy recruiter will not be enough. When the typical recruiter hears HPSP, medical, or officer program he will not be interested in your phone call. The recruiter only cares about his quota and not anyone else's (e.g. HPSP). He should put you in touch with the officer responsible for HPSP but he'll go not further than giving you a telephone number. 9 times out 10 the first person you talk to (an enlisted recruiter) will not care after you mention HPSP. Yes, it is a bureaucracy. I am telling you this because you will wonder why there seems to be so little interest in recruiting you even though you are making a deliberate attempt to offer your service and you possess a valuable skill that is in short demand. Don't be discouraged, use the Internet instead (www.navy.com) and they will contact you eventually (within two weeks). I have been appalled at the effort it has taken to get information from the Navy about HPSP. If there are any recruiters out there, please post and correct my misperceptions. A sophisicated recruiter should recognize that SDN and its forums are fertile grounds for recruiting and advertising. 1240 PM October 30, 2003; awaiting a response from a recruiter.:sleep:

Beware the Navy if internal medicine or general practice are not in your future. The Navy HPSP has the unique requisite that, after med school graduation, you must serve four years as a General Medical Officer before you have the option of doing a residency. And if you do a residency through them, you need to pay back those years afterwards.
This is in contrast to the Army's HPSP (which I have been considering) where you go through a military (or civilian if necessary) residency right after medical school, during which you gain rank and pay, then you go serve your pay back time doing your specialty of choice. It may seem like a minor distinction, but the Navy essentially makes you take a four year break from your goals if you plan to specialize, while the Army allow you to train and practice in your field of choice. I can not vouch for the Airforce, having not been in contact with their representatives as of yet.