Hptv1.org

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Party Animal MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A new organization, 'Healing and Prevention Through Video (HPTV), was established on a unique premise. I have never before seen such a revolutionary group organized for a healthcare purpose.

I wanted to know what other people think about this unique concept of 'healing and prevention through video'? This thread is meant for postings of opinions about 'HPTV'.

The following are pieces from the website:

"We view the patient waiting area as an arena where health needs can be addressed and patient education has a suitable place. Our idea is that since patients are most concerned about their health during these moments of their visit, while patients are waiting to be seen they can watch health educational videos that will inform and educate them on a variety of topics pertinent to their health. Thus, we work to disseminate health educational videos to various patient waiting areas in hospitals and clinics throughout Los Angeles and encourage their use in these settings."

"Our Task Force consists of several students (premedical & medical) and aspiring physicians and healthcare workers in the Los Angeles area. With the support of practicing physicians and health educators, HPTV is now a positive force in promoting health awareness and it welcomes volunteers who want to help to help carry out its current expansion."

The website also describes what members do: "Our efforts are concentrated mainly in the Los Angeles area. We reach out to hospitals and clinics throughout the city of Los Angeles by acting as the ‘middleman’ between companies that create health educational videos and these healthcare facilities. Students from various health-related backgrounds join our effort by brainstorming ways to promote health awareness, disseminating health educational videos, and creating health educational videos for patient waiting areas in both Emergency Rooms and clinics. Medical and premedical students help to research adequate health educational videos and contact various clinics to encourage their use."

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great idea... instead of reading cosmo and whatever other garbage is in the waiting room, they can get some good info. Although some waiting rooms have good magazines and stuff already. The clinic I work at has these Health Publications specific to certain things such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma, etc.

does anyone know if they are planning to move this out of LA? Im out in FL, but I would like to participate.

Hey Dr. Mike...I asked the HPTV board whether they are moving it out of Los Angeles, and they said yes, they are looking for people to start a chapter of HPTV in various parts of the U.S. This is what they told me in an email:

"So if you are interested in starting and heading a chapter of HPTV in your area, you have to just email us at [email protected], describe yourself and your interest. Also briefly let us know your vision for an HPTV chapter in your area and how you think it will be useful. When we get your email, we will provide you with a form that you can fill out for starting a new chapter. We will then provide you with all the tools you need and will keep you in touch with our activities, and vice-versa. We try to encourage leadership in medicine and are delighted with people who take initiative to start a branch in their city or state. Look forward to hearing from you."

-Party Animal MD

DrMike24 said:
Sounds like a great idea... instead of reading cosmo and whatever other garbage is in the waiting room, they can get some good info. Although some waiting rooms have good magazines and stuff already. The clinic I work at has these Health Publications specific to certain things such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma, etc.

does anyone know if they are planning to move this out of LA? Im out in FL, but I would like to participate.