HR Conundrum: Questionably Race-baiting Employee??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
This caused quite a bit of stir on Twitter & Facebook and got me thinking about how differently things are handled in the public versus the private sector: The poster is a medical school professor of Emergency Medicine. How would you handle the situation if she were an employee in your practice??

It can't be good for business to have any employee posting this stuff, can it?? But does it fall under "freedom of speech?" It was posted with her private account, but it's pretty obvious who she works for. Who would tolerate their employee doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask wth she was thinking.

If you take away the media's obsession with pc culture, it's not so outrageous. But not worth repeating for sure.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences

Reactions: 1 users
I would fire her for being an idiot and I would seriously question her ability to treat other people fairly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll pose you another conundrum.

I refused to work with a black Xray tech because she was slow. She claimed I was being racist (i am brown by the way). Investigation occurred by the hospital, and cleared me.

I emailed Radiology manager and said she makes this a hostile workplace for me now and I do not want her in on my cases.
Guess who is in on my cases for part of today? Next time, I am going home sick.
So how does HR handle this situation? Who is more valuable to the hospital?

Another reason to go private.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I'll pose you another conundrum.
With great power comes great responsibility...and the need to put up with great stupidity?

No, in this scenario I suspect punitive actions after her claim of racism can be construed as retaliatory. I assume your refusal to work with her did not start with a paper/electronic trail documenting your concerns, while her racism claims likely went through the system.

Yea my claim was, “she slows me down because she can’t figure out obliques and tilts”. While hers was a written complaint. Also, physicians don’t really have an avenue to “write people up” so to speak.

It’s primarily underlings and ones with unions that have that luxury. Oh did the surgeon yell at you for contamination or dropping the instrument? Boohoo write him/her up. Then the surgeon gets hassled by admin.

So refusing to work with someone after being falsely called a racist and being forced to work that person, which in turn, makes it a hostile environment for me is punitive and retaliation? Man this system is effed.

And as for the original post, a racial minority making racial comments, though frowned upon by most, rarely gets anything more than warnings. Because for the very fact that most admin happen to be white and get uncomfortable when talking about race and ultimately don’t want bad press. (Purely based on my own recent experiences).

Reactions: 2 users
Yea my claim was, “she slows me down because she can’t figure out obliques and tilts”. While hers was a written complaint. Also, physicians don’t really have an avenue to “write people up” so to speak.

It’s primarily underlings and ones with unions that have that luxury. Oh did the surgeon yell at you for contamination or dropping the instrument? Boohoo write him/her up. Then the surgeon gets hassled by admin.

So refusing to work with someone after being falsely called a racist and being forced to work that person, which in turn, makes it a hostile environment for me is punitive and retaliation? Man this system is effed.

You are upset. That's reasonable.
You're a physician and you know that if you didn't document it, it didn't happen.

The system for writing you up is the same for you writing her up. They generally have more free time for that though.
The system is effed but you just screw yourself whining about it instead of learning to use it or fixing it

Reactions: 2 users
I agree there is no such thing as reverse racism. There is simply racism.

After hearing her thoughts, I'd decline treatment from her as I would be afraid she'd be biased against me.

------

"Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Dr. Esther Choo recently posted some tweets about white people that attracted attention.
While the tweets were visible on her account Sunday morning, later in the day her account indicated that her tweets are protected, meaning they can only be viewed by people she accepts as followers. However, her controversial tweets have been documented elsewhere.
“White people can be exhausting. Just an observation,” Dr. Choo wrote.
She followed that statement up with: “Observation #2: white people are going to prove my point on this very thread.”
She then tweeted, “Observation #3: when people try to convince Twitter that white people are experiencing reverse racism, Twitter understands that is not a thing.”
That tweet included an image of a message from Twitter informing Dr. Choo that someone had complained about her “White people can be exhausting” tweet but Twitter determined that it did not violate their rules:
“We have investigated the reported content and could not identify any violations of the Twitter Rules … or applicable law,” Twitter explained. “Accordingly, we have not taken any action at this time.”
OHSU addressed the situation, pointing out that Dr. Choo posted the comment on her personal account:

Dr. Choo has previously explained that she has experienced racism while practicing medicine. A columnpublished in 2017 quotes a tweet in which Dr. Choo wrote, “We’ve got a lot of white nationalists in Oregon. So a few times a year, a patient in the ER refuses treatment from me because of my race.”
An email requesting a comment from Dr. Choo had not been answered at the time of this publication."

Choo is in a lot of trouble now over a sexual harassment scandal involving the Tik Tok doctor at her institution.

On June 21, 2019, Choo tweeted "White people can be exhausting. Just an observation." [15] Choo's employer, OHSU, noted that the comment was posted on a personal account, and "does not purport to represent the views of OHSU, this communication does not violate any OHSU policy or prohibition."

On March 1, 2021, Choo was named as a defendant in a lawsuit regarding her role as a Title IX mandatory reporter following sexual assault and harassment allegations against Dr. Jason Campbell, a former anesthesiology resident at OHSU. After being informed of the allegations, the lawsuit alleges that Choo neglected her duties under the law to report the incident. She messaged the plaintiff that "It’s never worth it. Never," which the plaintiff says was meant to dissuade her from filing an official report with the hospital. After the plaintiff questioned Choo's promotion of Dr. Campbell on social media even after becoming aware the allegations, text message screenshots show Dr. Choo telling her, "I don’t need policing by White women."

Last edited:
  • Wow
She's right, white people can be exhausting but so can every other group of people. Some people are exhausting and some people aren't. Maybe she just does not like exhausting people.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
She's right, white people can be exhausting but so can every other group of people. Some people are exhausting and some people aren't. Maybe she just does not like exhausting people.
Typical white person response (joking-edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Getting out of bed is exhausting.

Cancel morning clinic!

Typical white person response
How is that a typical white person response? You don't agree that any person from any place can be annoying in some situation at some time?

Please tell me about this amazing place/nation/race where every individual is perfect, oh enlightened one?

Pain Applicant's statement was one of unification, as we are all human, and all of us are imperfect.

Your statement causes division.

Which of those two approaches makes the world a better place?

How is that a typical white person response? You don't agree that any person from any place can be annoying in some situation at some time?

Please tell me about this amazing place/nation/race where every individual is perfect, oh enlightened one?

Pain Applicant's statement was one of unification, as we are all human, and all of us are imperfect.

Your statement causes division.

Which of those two approaches makes the world a better place?
Pretty sure it was a joke

Typical white person response
Brilliant. brilliant response. Please continue to attempt to reduce, classify, and denigrate me solely to an ethnicity, especially as if you know mine. My life view has nothing to do with life experience and is solely the product of an ethnicity. I do not know how to think for myself.

In any other circumstance or saying this about any other group of people would lead to uproar and potential rioting and looting.

I will flip your response around and say the following to you about your response. Typical ___________ person response. Do you like the way that makes you feel?

Hope so.

“woke” people do get offended so easily these days that it is hard to tell.
Typical snowflake's response.

Jk. Couldn't help myself. Yes. I was joking and thought it was obvious, but obviously not obvious.

There is 2 ways to take comments like that. Assume it is a joke or assume they are being rude. I default to laughing at it. If I am wrong, it just irritates the rude person. So win-win.

Why is it acceptable to joke about someone's race?
I don't make the rules. That's just how it is.

Do you actually mind if your friend jokes about your race? I truly don't but I do try to play by the rules

I actually think it less offensive for someone to joke about things I can't change than to joke about my character. Character is more of who a person really is but not their race. I also think it is funny "the rules" say it is okay to call someone a snowflake, but you can't comment on other things.

Overall, it is the tone. If someone is not being malicious, I don't take it that way. If someone is being malicious, I am glad to know their true colors.

Typical snowflake's response.

Jk. Couldn't help myself. Yes. I was joking and thought it was obvious, but obviously not obvious.

There is 2 ways to take comments like that. Assume it is a joke or assume they are being rude. I default to laughing at it. If I am wrong, it just irritates the rude person. So win-win.

I don't make the rules. That's just how it is.

Do you actually mind if your friend jokes about your race? I truly don't but I do try to play by the rules

I actually think it less offensive for someone to joke about things I can't change than to joke about my character. Character is more of who a person really is but not their race. I also think it is funny "the rules" say it is okay to call someone a snowflake, but you can't comment on other things.

Overall, it is the tone. If someone is not being malicious, I don't take it that way. If someone is being malicious, I am glad to know their true colors.
You know nothing and your attempt at humor is pathetic. I’m sure you’re just as uninformed and unfunny in person. I’ve been on this board for 15 years while you’ve been here for a couple minutes.

If you had been on SDN for awhile, you would know that I’m far from the age or political leanings of a snowflake.

Go watch tik Tok , oh young one, while the adults have a discussion.

i thought is was funny. had a pretty good chuckle. it was a good comment b/c of how ridiculous this thread is.

also, i wouldn't use the amount of time someone has been on this board as some kind of barometer of what is correct or appropriate or just. a few handles come to mind......

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
i thought is was funny. had a pretty good chuckle. it was a good comment b/c of how ridiculous this thread is.

also, i wouldn't use the amount of time someone has been on this board as some kind of barometer of what is correct or appropriate or just. a few handles come to mind......

Why is the thread ridiculous?

Do you really? If the comment was said about your religion, a specific gender or transgender, or a minority ethnicity, would you still take it to be funny?

In the supercharged emotional environment we live in, where it is impossible to escape discussion on race as it is constantly jammed down your throat on a daily basis, do you sincerely think a doctor should joke about it? Could any good at all come out of her comment?

We're leaders and we're close to the top of society. We make far more than almost everyone else and have privileges only others can dream of.

I made it a point to my staff from day 1 that all this noise from outside of my office does not enter the office. I want my pts to be able to escape it when they come through my doors. I think it's a good policy to abide by. As banal as it may sound, a doctor/patient relationship is sacred and should be treated as such.

Last edited:
Moderators, can we please make a rule that the thread has to be shut down when somebody mentions Ayn Rand?

Do you really? If the comment was said about your religion, a specific gender or transgender, or a minority ethnicity, would you still take it to be funny?

In the supercharged emotional environment we live in, where it is impossible to escape discussion on race as it is constantly jammed down your throat on a daily basis, do you sincerely think a doctor should joke about it? Could any good at all come out of her comment?

We're leaders and we're close to the top of society. We make far more than almost everyone else and have privileges only others can dream of.

I made it a point to my staff from day 1 that all this noise from outside of my office does not enter the office. I want my pts to be able to escape it when they come through my doors. I think it's a good policy to abide by. As banal as it may sound, a doctor/patient relationship is sacred and should be treated as such.
The comment by Esther Choo was dumb and racist.

The comment by BobLoblaw was clever and funny.

I say we all unite and talk about the stock market. Who's with me? ........... probably no one :( , lol!

You know nothing and your attempt at humor is pathetic. I’m sure you’re just as uninformed and unfunny in person. I’ve been on this board for 15 years while you’ve been here for a couple minutes.

If you had been on SDN for awhile, you would know that I’m far from the age or political leanings of a snowflake.

Go watch tik Tok , oh young one, while the adults have a discussion.
Lol!

See? I say that personal statements about character are more offensive and hurtful and you go straight for the juggler. :cryi:

I really think you are missing the point or my tone. I wasn't calling you a snowflake in the slightest. I was making an outrageous statement and even said I was joking. (I didn't mean it at all and now I look stupid b/c your response to the snowflake comment was very akin to a snowflake's response)

You think I am young? Thanks! For all intensive purposes, I very well may be older than you. If I am older than you, does that make me correct and you wrong?

I don't have a tiktok or fb. Do you have either? If you do, that would make me the adult (if you want to stay logically consistent). I will try to be the adult and rain it in. It takes two to tangle so I will try to be the civil one without personal attacks.