HS Senior Help me decide which BS/MD program to commit to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program should I commit to?

• Brown

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • University of Pittsburgh GAP

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Case Western PPSP

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • UMKC BS/MD 6 year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GW/GW 7 year

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

future_neuro

Reaction score
Hello all. I have narrowed my options down to these so far, but it is still a lot (yikes!). I'm interested in double-majoring in Neuroscience and anthropology and participating in research. I have included my thoughts on the schools below. My parents are paying and money isn't that big of a factor. Please vote and maybe comment on your thoughts as well. Thank you!

Brown

Cons- didn't get into PLME combined med program
Pros- Dream school for a while, love the open curriculum, really good undergrad program

GW/GW

Pros- Like the location, interested in political intersection with medicine, $25,000 scholarship

Pitt GAP

Pros- amazing medical school, undergraduate full-ride scholarship
Cons- I really don't like the undergraduate institution

Case Western PPSP

Pros- $43,000 (half tuition) scholarship, really good research opportunities, great medical school

UMKC

Cons- don't like the speed of 6-year program, majors are restrictive, Missouri=misery (in-state)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pitt Med is T20 and you have a full-ride for undergrad? I say that's the obvious choice. P.S. I'm a current student at Brown and it's not worth paying out-of-pocket for 8 years...

Moving to pre-med.

I agree, there seems little doubt in my mind that you should go for the top institution that gives you a full ride to undergrad. I know you're not paying, but still--when an institution is committing THAT much resources for you, they will be invested in ensuring your success. That would be Pitt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt hands down with Case in second, even if your parents are paying. They can invest that money in a rental property for you while you're in school and/or residency if they want to use what they've been saving.

Reactions: 2 users
I go Pitt cus thats probably the city where you can have the most fun while in Undergrad, plus cost benefit, and all the benefits of a t20 med school

Reactions: 1 user
I will also recommend Pitt even though undergraduate education may be subpar to others but you can create your own opportunities (doing honors or taking classes at CMU etc…)

Go with Pitt med school ranking matters in the end and the Undergrad is not bad at Pitt with diverse research opportunities as compared to any BS MD program.

I would regard Pitt as the Top BS MD program in the country as Northwestern HPME has discontinued.

Go with Pitt med school ranking matters in the end and the Undergrad is not bad at Pitt with diverse research opportunities as compared to any BS MD program.

I would regard Pitt as the Top BS MD program in the country as Northwestern HPME has discontinued.
I am fairly certain the OP had to make this choice at least a couple months back.

Closing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.