HS Senior looking at schools. If Accepted are the 3+3 programs a good route to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WK389

Reaction score
My HS senior daughter is interested in PT and is looking at Colleges. There are some Colleges that have 3+3 programs for Physical Therapy.

Direct Acceptance into the Grad program. Three years undergrad and then 3 years DPT.

Is this a good route to take? If accepted into the Direct Placement program she wouldnt have to worry about appling to DPT programs elsewhere.

Looking at Carroll University for this reason.

Thank you for any input.

Concerned Dad

Members don't see this ad.

My HS senior daughter is interested in PT and is looking at Colleges. There are some Colleges that have 3+3 programs for Physical Therapy.

Direct Acceptance into the Grad program. Three years undergrad and then 3 years DPT.

Is this a good route to take? If accepted into the Direct Placement program she wouldnt have to worry about appling to DPT programs elsewhere.

Thank you for any input.

Concerned Dad

Of course, it will be a great route if your daughter is 100% passionate in pursuing physical therapy. I know a lot of people that are in a BS in Bio to DPT 3+3 program. It is stressful having to apply after college, which I am doing right now. Just my take, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for any input.

Concerned Dad

I believe it is an excellent route to take if your daughter is extremely interested in physical therapy. It definitely saves a lot of time (and money if she were to enter the workforce earlier than others). Generally most people I know go to a four year university, then apply (which is about another year for the application cycle), and then three more years of PT school.. so about 8 years total.

Has she had the chance to shadow a physical therapist? If she has time, I would recommend trying to volunteer or shadow a physical therapist in an inpatient setting (a hospital) and then one in an outpatient setting (a private clinic) so that she has a broader sense. If application deadlines are coming up, I would apply anyway, and then shadow in between the application cycle if she hasn't done so already. She can always change her mind if she receives an acceptance and decides not to pursue the career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response and the great info! We will look into a shadowing opportunity.

Thanks for the response and the great info! We will look into a shadowing opportunity.

Like the others stated it is a great opportunity for those who are 100% sure they want to be in the field of physical therapy. With increasing popularity in the field the 3+3 programs are on a decline and there are very few left. As for applying the answer is yes/no/depends. If admitted to the 3+3 program she will be guaranteed a spot in the physical therapy class of the year she completes her final undergraduate year. That spot however is contingent on her fulfilling the requirements all other applicants must complete as well. Failure to do so will restrict her from continuing in the final 3 years of the program. These requirements depends on the schools 3+3 rules, I would contact them for GPA/GRE/Letters of rec/observation hour requirements to stay in the 3+3 program. If she does not continue with the program most schools will offer a B.S. in exercise science or a similar degree after the initial 3 years.

If you are absolutely certain that you want to pursue PT, then yes, it makes sense. But if you have any doubt, I would not recommend it. I personally do not regret getting a broad education and being able to explore different areas before deciding on a career, and I’m much happier with the 22 year old version of me making that decision than I would have been had the 17 year old version of me made it.