HS Senior Planning For Pre-med, looking for advice and clarification and some aspects of the process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
As the title states, this is a post for advice to an incoming undergrad. Getting on the premed reddit and the SDN have been a great decision thus far for me, and has helped me plan out extracurriculars and classes much better- I really appreciate all the people giving advice here :)

As for my first question, I'm currently working on a year long research project which just got IRB approval, and at the end of the project I expect to have the study published (not in a high impact journal). Though its in high school, is this something I could use for med school applications? Not sure what it would be categorized as, I was thinking 1st author publication, but I am the only author.

Additionaly, I am unsure if I should be using AP credit for classes like psychology and statistics, or if I should retake them in college. Same applies for general chem and 2, which I am taking currently as a dual enrolled student at a local CC- I have an A first semester, but should I take it again in undergrad if there's a stigma against CC courses for pre reqs?

Lastly, I am just looking for inspiration for non clinical volunteering. I was considering activities like running logistics and deliveries for a food drive run by my Mosque to get food and other essential resources to those in need, or tutoring Elementary/middle school students who are underserved, so perhaps ESL students as I was once one also. If you guys could drop examples of NCVs you did, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the long post

Members don't see this ad.

It will help you if you have a publication with your name on it as an author, but why are you the only author if you are on a project that requires IRB approval from your supervising scientist/investigator? That person must be on the paper as an author (like a producer for a film). That said, most high school activities are nice window-dressing, but we want to see what you do just before applying for medical school.

Not all schools will accept AP credits to fulfill requirements. Check with the schools in your state. Be mindful of any dual enrollment courses that you take in CC because those grades could count against you on your GPA if you do badly.

Reactions: 1 user
It will help you if you have a publication with your name on it as an author, but why are you the only author if you are on a project that requires IRB approval from your supervising scientist/investigator? That person must be on the paper as an author (like a producer for a film). That said, most high school activities are nice window-dressing, but we want to see what you do just before applying for medical school.

Not all schools will accept AP credits to fulfill requirements. Check with the schools in your state. Be mindful of any dual enrollment courses that you take in CC because those grades could count against you on your GPA if you do badly.
Oh right, I forgot all the people contributing will go on the paper. As for it being from high school, would it not be considered a publication regardless of if it were in HS or undergrad, or is it assumed that a publication in HS will be of less professional quality than one in an a college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Community college courses will be fine, there is not a stigma.
You can ask for your AP credit for classes like history, psychology, languages, but definitely take statistics in college.

It's still something you did in high school, like an Eagle Scout Project. It can be meaningful but done when you were a high school student. Build on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some volunteering that you enjoy and that makes the most of your talents and interests. If that doesn't include face-to-face engagement with people who need help and can't afford to pay for services (e.g. low income folks who can't afford tutors, coaches, etc) then engaging in some activity of that kind is very useful, particularly if this activity takes you out of your comfort zone and gets you involved with people different than yourself (different age, race, neighborhood).

Any publication will be on your CV (curriculum vitae) that will follow you throughout your career. There is no reason to leave it off of your med school application unless you have 15 other things that are more important. This would be classified as a "publication" and, frankly, it doesn't much matter your place in the list of authors at this stage in your career. First authorship might come later. Don't make this your only publication. If the research bug bites, then keep going with it.

Buy access to the MSAR (online publication by AAMC). It will help you determine if the schools in your state, and other schools that might interest you, will permit you to use AP credits for degree requirements.

Do not take Organic Chemistry as a freshman even if you have already taken general chemistry. O-Chem is almost always the toughest course in college and starting with it could put you in a demoralizing GPA hole that won't end your pre-med career but can make the rest of your college years an uphill slog. Better to have the Nike swoop of GPA by year (lowest in sophomore year) if you are going to take a hit with o-chem.

Be above reproach. Do not be helpful by loaning your lab reports or papers to fellow students -- if they copy your work, you'll both be labeled as cheaters. Have fun but avoid damage to property, underage drinking, or being labeled a "goodie two-shoes" (hard to balance those but you can end up being bullied if you can't find a balance between fun and propriety).

Find your people. Form study groups. Don't look at it as cut-throat but as teamwork to quiz one another and find ways to explain concepts you understand but others are struggling with.

Develop good habits from the start. Don't discount the importance of a routine that includes exercises, good dietary intake most of the time, meditation and gratitude, and good sleep hygiene. "All nighters" are not a badge of honor -- I look back on it as one of the dumbest things I did in college.

I've been reading applications and interviewing candidates for 20 years and this is what I've gleaned over that time. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I think it’s worth reaching out to a moderator to see if you can change sooner. Maybe one of the administrators can do this.

Reactions: 2 users
Do some volunteering that you enjoy and that makes the most of your talents and interests. If that doesn't include face-to-face engagement with people who need help and can't afford to pay for services (e.g. low income folks who can't afford tutors, coaches, etc) then engaging in some activity of that kind is very useful, particularly if this activity takes you out of your comfort zone and gets you involved with people different than yourself (different age, race, neighborhood).

Any publication will be on your CV (curriculum vitae) that will follow you throughout your career. There is no reason to leave it off of your med school application unless you have 15 other things that are more important. This would be classified as a "publication" and, frankly, it doesn't much matter your place in the list of authors at this stage in your career. First authorship might come later. Don't make this your only publication. If the research bug bites, then keep going with it.

Buy access to the MSAR (online publication by AAMC). It will help you determine if the schools in your state, and other schools that might interest you, will permit you to use AP credits for degree requirements.

Do not take Organic Chemistry as a freshman even if you have already taken general chemistry. O-Chem is almost always the toughest course in college and starting with it could put you in a demoralizing GPA hole that won't end your pre-med career but can make the rest of your college years an uphill slog. Better to have the Nike swoop of GPA by year (lowest in sophomore year) if you are going to take a hit with o-chem.

Be above reproach. Do not be helpful by loaning your lab reports or papers to fellow students -- if they copy your work, you'll both be labeled as cheaters. Have fun but avoid damage to property, underage drinking, or being labeled a "goodie two-shoes" (hard to balance those but you can end up being bullied if you can't find a balance between fun and propriety).

Find your people. Form study groups. Don't look at it as cut-throat but as teamwork to quiz one another and find ways to explain concepts you understand but others are struggling with.

Develop good habits from the start. Don't discount the importance of a routine that includes exercises, good dietary intake most of the time, meditation and gratitude, and good sleep hygiene. "All nighters" are not a badge of honor -- I look back on it as one of the dumbest things I did in college.

I've been reading applications and interviewing candidates for 20 years and this is what I've gleaned over that time. Good luck!
This was very in depth and helpful, thank you very much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
OP, do not take any science AP classes for college credit. First, some medical schools want to see ACTUAL COLLEGE CREDITS for general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and biology on your college transcript. Furthermore, you want to inflate your college GPA as much as possible by taking classes with which you are perfectly familiar. Don't fall for this "climb every mountain, ford every stream" nonsense. Make your freshman year of college as easy as possible.

As for my first question, I'm currently working on a year long research project which just got IRB approval, and at the end of the project I expect to have the study published (not in a high impact journal). Though its in high school, is this something I could use for med school applications? Not sure what it would be categorized as, I was thinking 1st author publication, but I am the only author.
Is this for an AP project in HS? Is the IRB that you used part of a college you're associated with / that you have a research mentor at?

How much this means depends on the venue for publication. The fact that you're suggesting it would be a sole author paper (just you) to me suggests it might not make it into a typical venue, but rather a journal intended for HS/undergraduate students? If so, the impact will be lower.