HS student advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfyzheart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a junior in high school and doing a college search. I know for sure I want to be a veterinarian. I'm just wondering, what would be the best thing to major in in college so that I could get into vet school? Is there anything I can do now that could help increase my chances of getting into vet school in the future?
Thanks for your time guys ^-^

Members don't see this ad.

Major in something that you love. Something that you want to study, not something that you think you have to. Also, something that you would be happy using if you never got in the vet school! You can incorporate pre-reqs easiest into somewhat science based majors, but it really doesn't matter as long as you get all of those in.

As far as what you can do now: Get varied veterinary, animal, and leadership experiences. You can shadow vets in different areas of practice, join clubs (or start them!) at school, and lots of other related things. These are all areas that admissions committees will look at. First and foremost though, get good grades in college AND high school!

You have lots of time, but these are good things to look at now! :) Good luck!

1) If you haven't already, shadow a vet or three and make sure that this is the right career path for you. Talk to vets about their schooling, their careers, and get their take on the field. It's not all fun and games, and there's a dark side to being in vet med (Debt, finances, cranky clients, cranky clients with no money, cranky clients who want everything free because the vet must love animals, euthanasia, etc).

2) Go to an affordable undergrad, even if it isn't your dream school, and even if it's not the exact degree that you want. Save money, try to come out debt free or close to it. Choose community or state schools over Ivy league. You'll thank yourself later.

3) Have fun in college. Get good grades, but remember, to enjoy yourself too. Seems like a lot of pre-vet people I talk to forget that it's okay to have a social life, and that one or two bad grades isn't the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) If you haven't already, shadow a vet or three and make sure that this is the right career path for you. Talk to vets about their schooling, their careers, and get their take on the field. It's not all fun and games, and there's a dark side to being in vet med (Debt, finances, cranky clients, cranky clients with no money, cranky clients who want everything free because the vet must love animals, euthanasia, etc).

2) Go to an affordable undergrad, even if it isn't your dream school, and even if it's not the exact degree that you want. Save money, try to come out debt free or close to it. Choose community or state schools over Ivy league. You'll thank yourself later.

3) Have fun in college. Get good grades, but remember, to enjoy yourself too. Seems like a lot of pre-vet people I talk to forget that it's okay to have a social life, and that one or two bad grades isn't the end of the world.
:thumbup:

Thank you all very much! :D i appreciate it greatly!

Cowgirla always gives good advice.

I'd add:

4) Be involved in the community around you. You don't have to overdo it, but do <something> to contribute. Be a lifeguard. Coach / Assistant coach / whatever T-ball or 6-year-old soccer. Work once a lousy month at a food shelf or 'soup kitchen'. Be involved in one or two clubs in high school and college. Something.

You'll reap benefits far beyond what's obvious. And it looks really awesome on a vet school application. Any application, really.

For financial reasons, sure. But Ivy League schools also tend to have great financial aid (a ton of my peers have full rides/close to full rides) and a wealth of opportunities that you might not get at a state school. I would argue that if you get a lot of money from one of them, go there (you'll probably end up at a state school for vet school, so why not get out for a bit?). But otherwise good advice :thumbup: