HS student looking at college...pre-med

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1drwannabe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am entering my junior year at HS, and looking toward college. And, having read some posts here about gpa's (excluding major differences in colleges like Harvard vs No Name College), I think I might rethink my college choices (Duke, UNC type schools) and go to a state (my state) school and get those good grades that will help me get into medical school. And I have heard this before, not just recent thread.

Can you give me any input on majors?? (I enjoy science but know that will be harder to secure that high gpa than a more liberal arts type bachelors degree)

I am taking AP level sciences in HS, hoping to have 6 sciences in HS (not standard 4) and really enjoy this. I am shadowing doctors this summer to get a broader perspective. And, applying to pre-med programs at various universities for next summer.

It appears I will graduate with a 4.1 from one of the top US public schools per Newsweek.

Also, anything you WISHED you would have done in HS or known BEFORE you went to college and selected a major.

It seems to me that my instincts aren't right in this, as I would think majors matter (I know I need the pre-reqs) and I hear majors don't matter, in fact, diversity is good! I would also THINK different colleges gpa's would be considered more than I see they are...what else??

I love reading all this, and know this is the direction I want to go! Thanks!😀
 
Majors matter inasmuch as your schedule permits you the time to take prereqs and MCAT-relevant classes, and just as importantly it needs to be something you really are interested in, because genuine interest will help to carry a GPA.

I came into college as a bio major, switched to neuroscience in the second semester because it seemed cooler, and started accumulating philosophy, lit, and language classes because they seemed cool too. Take what interests you (to a limit, don't take really stupid-hard classes just because transdimensional hypergeometry sounds neat) and do well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jaqen, what is hSDN? I am new here and happy to post in a more appropriate place. thanks

Quiz, I agree, interest will make up for alot. Right now, it is Bio over Chemistry, but still thinking. Thanks, and yes that does sound cool...transdimensional hyperbio...never liked geometry!:laugh:
 
It appears I will graduate with a 4.1 from one of the top US public schools per Newsweek.
No one cares about your high school dude. Colleges know most kids didn't have a choice where they went and that more often what determines if you went to a good school or not is how rich your parents were. In fact, the kind of high school that would impress undergrad ad coms the most would be a bottom of the barrel, crime ridden inner city school, because at least then an applicant can show that they overcame overwhelming adversity. No one cares about your weighted GPA either, most high schools fluff the hell out of students' GPAs with things like advanced, honors, and AP classes, and there's no standard as to how much each will raise your GPA by. For all colleges know your high school treated a C in an AP class as an A.

With that being said, yes, go to a state school because as it turns out no one cares about your undergrad either unless you're going directly into the workforce, and even then it's one of the less important things on your resume/CV. And don't worry about major, just make sure you take the pre-reqs and do well. Majoring in a hard science is better though since it allows you to improve your science GPA.
 
Actually, I would like to leave this post here. hSDN looks great, but scanning the four pages of threads, so many are ACT and SAT related, and I am trying to look farther out towards majors in college as it helps to get into med school.

kind of the "IF you knew then what you know NOW" ... so, back to original post, and thanks all!!! great site!
 
OCD...got it! and thanks, I guess I just am saying I am doing well academically.

ok, and the weighted gpa I hear is factored out...that is fine, it still is good enough to get in the state schools around here, so you are saying get the reqs and harder sciences may be more respected than other areas, but get the gpa....if i translate correctly! thanks,
 
Actually, I would like to leave this post here. hSDN looks great, but scanning the four pages of threads, so many are ACT and SAT related, and I am trying to look farther out towards majors in college as it helps to get into med school.

kind of the "IF you knew then what you know NOW" ... so, back to original post, and thanks all!!! great site!

I'll move your thread to hSDN now. Many college and medical students (and residents, attendings, etc) frequent hSDN and will be happy to discuss your questions with you there.
 
1) Go to an "Easier" school. Be the big fish in the little pond. Be careful, a lot of ann🙂oying premeds do this but think they can slack off and still get As. Most have their
GPAs destroyed or don't build the study skills needed to do well on the MCAT. Try to be the highest score in every class even though you only need to top 10% to get an A, still try to be in the 1%.

2) protect you GPA!! Space your classes well

3) Pick a useful major. The vast majority of people who start off as pre-meds don't end up going to med school.
 
1) Go to an "Easier" school. Be the big fish in the little pond. Be careful, a lot of ann🙂oying premeds do this but think they can slack off and still get As. Most have their
GPAs destroyed or don't build the study skills needed to do well on the MCAT. Try to be the highest score in every class even though you only need to top 10% to get an A, still try to be in the 1%.

2) protect you GPA!! Space your classes well

3) Pick a useful major. The vast majority of people who start off as pre-meds don't end up going to med school.

Agree with this, especially the protect your GPA part! GPA is absolutely essential for getting into med school. Also, do consider #3 above. Many of the people who start out as premeds will not end up in med school and it is important that your college education allows you to be able to get a job.
 
What do you guys/gals think about these schools that offer a guaranteed admittance into their med school. I presume they are hard to get in, but, some are state specific. And there are some that look pretty good. Some make you stay at their med school, which is not a problem, some let you interview and apply out.

I presume the hard part is getting in and maintaining the gpa.

Perhaps this should be another thread. thanks,
 
And, having read some posts here about gpa's (excluding major differences in colleges like Harvard vs No Name College), I think I might rethink my college choices (Duke, UNC type schools) and go to a state (my state) school and get those good grades that will help me get into medical school.

Food for thought from an accepted student graduated from a challenging school who, if given the option, wouldn't have traded their experiences for a 4.0 (or more medical school interviews even) attending an unranked state school. In fact, I'm certain that the unique opportunities found at my school have made me stand out more than a 4.0 would have.


College is about more than premedical preparation. Go to a school where you would be a good fit with the student body, can find an appropriate academic/social/Greek life balance for yourself, and has opportunities for research and a nearby hospital.

While you might avoid notoriously tough grade deflation schools, don't close off great opportunities just because you're worried about your future GPA. If you are relatively bright and work hard enough (all four years) at any most college you can earn a competitive GPA. If you sell yourself short at this point you are likely to regret not having the resources/community of, for example, Duke/UNC (both awesome schools).

College is your time to broaden your academic, cultural, and social experiences. The prevailing "wisdom" on this website is often skewed by those who are not confident about their own application and grades and tend to lose sight of the big picture.

It's disheartening to think that people believe/advocate that the most important part of a school is how easily you can squeak by with an A as opposed to how much you can take away from your experience. Go to wherever you will be happiest, do your best, and take it from there.

Sent using SDN Mobile
 
Do well academically in high school, but enjoy yourself as well. Don't dedicate your entire life to your studies.
 
Oh, and before I forget, in regards to pre-med majors:

3os8qg.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, it's probably better if you DON'T choose a major in the sciences if you cannot envision yourself in that field in case you don't get into medical school. As people have already said, take something you're interested in, but at the same time take the pre-reqs for medical school. This way you can choose either path if one goes wrong.