Dec 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I am currently taking the DAT on Jan 6th. I don't feel prepared and want to push it back to sometime in June to give myself plenty of time to study. The year after will be a gap year. I wanted to take the test on Jan 6th to give myself plenty of time to submit everything I needed early. My only question is this, if I push it back to the summer, will that still give myself time to do everything I need to do in order to get in early for the HSCP consideration? I've heard you want to do it early, I just don't know how early I really should take the DAT and begin the process with the Navy to put myself in the "early applicant" pool. I don't want to screw myself by moving the test date back so far. Anyone know the time frames I need to be working with and if pushing the date back will screw me.

tbond5

Enrolled
Jul 8, 2013
Seattle, WA
Status
Pre-Dental
I am currently taking the DAT on Jan 6th. I don't feel prepared and want to push it back to sometime in June to give myself plenty of time to study. The year after will be a gap year. I wanted to take the test on Jan 6th to give myself plenty of time to submit everything I needed early. My only question is this, if I push it back to the summer, will that still give myself time to do everything I need to do in order to get in early for the HSCP consideration? I've heard you want to do it early, I just don't know how early I really should take the DAT and begin the process with the Navy to put myself in the "early applicant" pool. I don't want to screw myself by moving the test date back so far. Anyone know the time frames I need to be working with and if pushing the date back will screw me.
Early for the navy is July. First boards this year are in January but that's late because of the government shut down I believe.

chill45

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Early for the navy is July. First boards this year are in January but that's late because of the government shut down I believe.
They usually meet the first week or so of January, which is the same this year I believe. But to the OP yes that will be plenty of time. Everything together doesn't really take more than a month to get together if you have a good recruiter. The toughest part could be scheduling your MEPS physical but you have plenty of time to get everything ready for next year.

ramborhino

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2013
Status
I think you are over analyzing this way to much. Your priority is to take your DAT when you feel like you will do your best - whether that is in January or as late as September. I think as long as you start your HPSP/HSCP application by October (at the latest, but some apparently even start theirs in November) and then get your school acceptance come December you will be sitting pretty.

ModifiedBass

5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2013
Status
Dentist
Read the responses in your previous thread, they answer this question...

OP
P
Dec 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Followup question, did every branch get rid of automatic acceptance criteria? I can't find anything about it from recent years.