HSCP Salary and Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dieseldent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I begin year 1 of dental school in September with the HSCP scholarship. My HSCP selection letter states that 1-Aug is my projected date of eligibility for active duty. How quickly can I expect to receive my salary and medical benefits for me and my wife? My recruiter says we can complete paperwork ahead of time to reduce delay beyond 1-Aug, but realistically, how long will the process take? This matters because my healthcare benefits are currently covered by an employer, and that coverage ends 1-Aug. I need to know if I have to go get a Cobra to cover my wife and me for the month of Aug. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Navy is pretty bad about paying on time in my experience. They are also notorious for "overpaying" and then taking money out of your paychecks to follow without your consent. I would think that you two will be able to get treatment for the month of August if you need the medical coverage though. You could apply for cobra and see if you get it.