hSDN Class of 2012

That Harvard thread that you bumped got me thinking...

ALL I hear about from those CC like kids is how they all want to go to Harvard. I would like to ask them WHY they want to go to Harvard and if their only answer is along the lines of "because it's Harvard." sigh deeply and walk away. There has to be more than that small amount of reasoning to justify going somewhere, or else they are probably going to regret it every day.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the infatuation with Ivy League schools. They're so expensive and there's little reason to go to them excepti for name recognition.

Yeah, once I realized that the only reason I was considering Princeton because it was Princeton (and that's where Will and Carlton went), it made this college stuff a lot easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to go to Harvard as I was born in and spent the first few years in Cambridge. I also still have doctors appointments and everything there and my grandparents live there as well so I've been through, by, and around it a ton. The proximity to hospitals such as Mass General is also a huge plus and the use it as one of their training hospitals. I would kill to go there for undergrad especially seeming it would cost me $8000 a year with their pay 10% of your family's income policy. Not sure how their financial aid is for med school though. No matter what med school you go to you're pretty much guaranteed a job so long as you pass everything and pass your boards so that can't be the reason they want to go to Harvard. It's not like in law where you go to Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Columbia in order to get a corporate lawyer job.

It should be noted for CC kids they should give up their dreams of transferring into Harvard right now if that was in their plans, any Ivy for that matter. They usually let in less than 50 students and sometimes as few as 10. A couple years ago Harvard didn't accept a single transfer. They also expect you to write a book with detailed reasons why you want to go there over your current school. So yeah, almost hopeless.

Last edited:
I don't understand the infatuation with Ivy League schools. They're so expensive and there's little reason to go to them excepti for name recognition.

This. My principal was on me like my skin to apply to some Ivies, just so he could say that a student from his high school got into a huge name school I guess. :rolleyes: To be honest... I do somewhat regret not applying to Yale, if nothing else than just for kicks and giggles. But, logically speaking, it wasn't worth the 80 bucks and extra time investment since the school wasn't really a realistic $$$/distance option for me to begin with. And my main attraction to it was, like you guys said, the name :rolleyes:

PS: Just read your advice in the Harvard thread, Connell- excellent thoughts. :thumbup:

I know what you guys mean. Now, just to point out, I like the kid I'm talking about and am glad that he made it into Harvard. My thoughts aren't necessarily about him, but rather my school's reaction to it. So, he made it to Harvard, very smart and really involved. The school freaked out, having the newspaper write an article about him and putting a large Harvard logo on the accepted schools board (and, on a side-note, SMCVT has yet to find a home on that board). I feel bad for him too, since he tried to mention other people's accomplishments in the article. So, I think everyone makes too much of Ivy Leagues.

As the saying goes, it doesn't matter where you go, only what you do when you go.

I know what you guys mean. Now, just to point out, I like the kid I'm talking about and am glad that he made it into Harvard. My thoughts aren't necessarily about him, but rather my school's reaction to it. So, he made it to Harvard, very smart and really involved. The school freaked out, having the newspaper write an article about him and putting a large Harvard logo on the accepted schools board (and, on a side-note, SMCVT has yet to find a home on that board). I feel bad for him too, since he tried to mention other people's accomplishments in the article. So, I think everyone makes too much of Ivy Leagues.

As the saying goes, it doesn't matter where you go, only what you do when you go.

That's a shame that they forced him to be a poster boy. Congrats to him, though.

I love Iron Man but I also love NP! Whaddayah think? Tony Stark or Jane Foster as my avatar?
thor-photo-natalie-portman.jpg

images

Geez where is everyone? I'm so lonely here.... :(

It's like there's something that still occupies 8 hours of your life Mon-Fri-oh...

Just Kidding, hang in there guys!

Although it is nice that my biggest concern right now is Tony Stark or Natalie Portman!

Members don't see this ad :)
Natalie Portman gets my vote. It'll make reading your posts that much better and give you more credibility overall. ;)

Last day of school tomorrow. Got a 97 on my last part of the anatomy final I thought I was going to bad on so that was awesome. Think my Physics final turned out ok too. I better get to sleep though. I'll be around tomorrow.

Natalie Portman makes me think that the person who's posting is a girl.

Both of them would work. =)

Although I'm so glad to be out of there, it doesn't feel like it's all over yet.

Meanwhile I'm trying to get a job at a local nursing home a couple of my friends work at. They said they're always hiring and the pay is good. $9.25 during the week and $10.50 an hour on the weekend. Way more than you'd make at Dunkin Donuts which I already applied to.

Although I'm so glad to be out of there, it doesn't feel like it's all over yet.

Meanwhile I'm trying to get a job at a local nursing home a couple of my friends work at. They said they're always hiring and the pay is good. $9.25 during the week and $10.50 an hour on the weekend. Way more than you'd make at Dunkin Donuts which I already applied to.

Same here. I don't think it'll feel like it's over until I'm driving home from graduation. Especially since I have to be at school tomorrow for graduation rehearsal haha. And that is good pay! Good luck in getting the job.

Home sweet home...

I'll try NP until I get fed up with people thinking I'm a girl.

Heheh, I see you've been creepin' over in Pre-Vet, Conflag! :D

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Happy weekend, compadres! What's everybody up to?

Yesterday was my last day of high school because I'm exempt from exams. It seemed sort of weird, it didn't feel like my last day. I figured that it would be like middle school, where everyone was crying and hugging each other. xD

My weekend will be composed of sleeping then hanging out with my friends.

Sounds like a good weekend to me :) Ha, I was expecting a much more dramatic sense of FREEEEEEDOM and relief on my last day. Instead, it was more like, oh hey, I'm done now. Cool beans. And then I continued with my day. :p

Quite, this person needs an anti-inflammatory drug STAT.

INS, did you see another "College A vs College B" thread? If so, I feel your pain.

Anyway, I just picked up my cap and gown today. I now know why this dates back to the Middle Ages and why we only wear it once every time.

INS, did you see another "College A vs College B" thread? If so, I feel your pain.

Anyway, I just picked up my cap and gown today. I now know why this dates back to the Middle Ages and why we only wear it once every time.

It feels like they kept the same styling from the Middle Ages to now. :laugh:

Haha, sweet :D I graduate tonight!!! [insert enthusiastic celebration here] :soexcited:

Haha, sweet :D I graduate tonight!!! [insert enthusiastic celebration here] :soexcited:

Congrats! Enjoy the ceremony and great job on earning your diploma!

JonStewart_HappyBunny-gif.gif

Also, if you have a teacher who can play the bagpipes, enjoy the music (we have a bagpipe-able teacher, unfortunately).

Oh, and congratulations on earning your hSDN Alumni badge as well!

I'm not entirely sure what I saw, because it made no sense to me at all...

And I just watched the scrubs episode where JD's head explodes.

"I can't believe that your head exploded. If your head explodes you'll never make it as a doctor." -Cox

Officially graduated! :D

tumblr_lti0b6AZnf1qb8nljo1_500.gif

And thanks everybody :)

INS: That's from season 1, right? And I'm quite curious as to what it was that elicited such a reaction, haha :p

Officially graduated! :D
And thanks everybody :)

INS: That's from season 1, right? And I'm quite curious as to what it was that elicited such a reaction, haha :p

tumblr_lxgpp6RJQ21qbb7an.gif

Yeah.

It's some of the questions that are asked on this forum... they make me die a little on the inside.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skT9cgArPp4[/YOUTUBE]

test

edit: Darn, I thought maybe removing my H.sdn membership would somehow make my alumni badge show... Hope I didn't screw anything up that way.

Most of us have turned the tassel... I suppose it's time to move to the pre-health forums.

I have a feeling they're not going to be so warm and fuzzy there. ;)

Crap, I didn't think that through. I can't access Better than Facebook now :(