hSDN Class of 2014

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread designated for Class of 2014 high school students. Here it is!! Post anything that is related to our class in particular and or information that you want to share/want feedback for. Enjoy:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making this lol. I'll start with my goals: I want to go to a decent college, get accepted into Veterinary School and become a Veterinarian or a Veterinary Pharmacologist.

Thanks for making this lol. I'll start with my goals: I want to go to a decent college, get accepted into Veterinary School and become a Veterinarian or a Veterinary Pharmacologist.
That is really neat! Where in the US. are you, and which institution is your "dream university"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, anyone who is interested in this thread, please be sure to suscribe/set up instant email notification if you are a frequent email checker!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, yay for the next generation of hSDNers! :)

Okay, I'll quit invading and hop back over to the 2012 thread now. :oops: *disappears*

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, yay for the next generation of hSDNers! :)

Okay, I'll quit invading and hop back over to the 2012 thread now. :oops: *disappears*
Haha! Awesome:) Hope to see you again!

I live in Maryland, and I really want to go to Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

Obligatory too soon/we are better than you comments:

OMG SRSLY???? You're practically in kindergarten!!!!11!

2012>2014!

Check.

Obligatory GIF:

images

Check.

You are now an officially sanctioned "class of" thread! Good luck with the rest of high school!

Obligatory too soon/we are better than you comments:

OMG SRSLY???? You're practically in kindergarten!!!!11!

2012>2014!

Check.

Obligatory GIF:

images

Check.

You are now an officially sanctioned "class of" thread! Good luck with the rest of high school!
Love it. haha Hey only 2 more years. These years are literally flying by. At this rate, we will be pre-meds/pre-vet in no time! :)

It didn't feel like it then, but looking back and being only 25 school days from graduating, it goes by so fast, and I missed out on a lot due to thinking only about college. If I could give you all one piece of advice, it would be to do well in school, but don't be afraid to have a little fun here and there.

It didn't feel like it then, but looking back and being only 25 school days from graduating, it goes by so fast, and I missed out on a lot due to thinking only about college. If I could give you all one piece of advice, it would be to do well in school, but don't be afraid to have a little fun here and there.
Thank you so much:)

Let me give you guys some advice...
Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end you're just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the Man. He's everywhere. And the Man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the Man. It was called rock 'n roll, but guess what, oh no, the Man ruined that, too, with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome 'cause the Man is just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourselves a favor and just GIVE UP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end you're just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the Man. He's everywhere. And the Man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the Man. It was called rock 'n roll, but guess what, oh no, the Man ruined that, too, with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome 'cause the Man is just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourselves a favor and just GIVE UP!
Well that was partially funny. After the 2nd line, it just sounded uneducated. Anyways, I like your attempt to make things funny but to me it failed. Nice try, good luck nxt time:) LOL

Shinobiz11 said:

HA. I knew that sounded familiar. Just Google'd it, and it's a quote from the movie School of Rock. :p

Lol, well at least someone knew it. :)
My actual advice to you, is find a goal to keep yourself motivated. When you're not motivated, you slack off and get lazy. Even if you don't want to be pre-med anymore, you still need something to keep you on track.
Also, take out time to relax, have fun, do the things you like. You need balance in the long years of education. If you lean too far to one side, you're will topple over.
And my last piece of advice, don't go do "all-nighters". Your body requires sleep and works more efficiently when well rested. Its better to go to sleep and wake up early to start studying, than deprive yourself of the rest you need. Best of luck to all of you. Take it easy. :)

Part of the Class of 2014 too! Glad summer is here! :D

^ Same, my summer started on June 7th. Can't wait to be a Junior!

Hey I hope it's ok to join you here even when I'm not completely sure if I will graduate 2013 or 2014, because I'm in the process of transferring to an US High School :)
Please don't mind my bad writing skills, I try to avoid making mistakes but I guess there will be some at times :oops:

So my plan is to end High School with good grades and then attend a good college so I can get into vet school in the near future and work as a vet. I am extremely interested in Animal Behaviour and I'm currently looking for colleges that offer this as a major or minor.

This x infinity. My grade in Calculus dropped from an A to a C after I was accepted. I had to work so hard to fix it.

Was it like, in your mindset, that because you got accepted into college, you shouldn't work so hard and/or it doesn't matter if you don't get a good grade in that class?

So my plan is to end High School with good grades and then attend a good college so I can get into vet school in the near future and work as a vet. I am extremely interested in Animal Behaviour and I'm currently looking for colleges that offer this as a major or minor.

Wooo veterinary medicine! :thumbup: Best of luck to you. Animal Behavior is good stuff, though be warned that not very many schools offer it as a major. I just did a quick Google search and came up with Bucknell University and University of New England, if that helps at all. I know extremely little about either school, but apparently they both have that major. Also keep in mind that generally most animal-related majors (Zoology, Zoo Science, Wildlife Biology, Animal Science, etc) require taking animal behavior courses of some sort, and may even involve a significant focus on animal behavior related stuff depending on the major. So, even if you end up majoring in one of those and not Animal Behavior, chances are very good you will still be taking animal behavior classes at some point. :) I think some vet schools actually require it as a prerequisite course too, if I remember correctly.

Was it like, in your mindset, that because you got accepted into college, you shouldn't work so hard and/or it doesn't matter if you don't get a good grade in that class?

It's an unfortunately tempting side effect of senioritis. :p It's a dangerous trap to fall into, though, because colleges have been known to revoke acceptances/scholarships if the grades you end up with at the end of your senior year are a lot worse than the ones the college received during the application/acceptance process. Keeping up your A-game throughout the whole year is a must. :)

Wooo veterinary medicine! :thumbup: Best of luck to you. Animal Behavior is good stuff, though be warned that not very many schools offer it as a major. I just did a quick Google search and came up with Bucknell University and University of New England, if that helps at all. I know extremely little about either school, but apparently they both have that major. Also keep in mind that generally most animal-related majors (Zoology, Zoo Science, Wildlife Biology, Animal Science, etc) require taking animal behavior courses of some sort, and may even involve a significant focus on animal behavior related stuff depending on the major. So, even if you end up majoring in one of those and not Animal Behavior, chances are very good you will still be taking animal behavior classes at some point. :) I think some vet schools actually require it as a prerequisite course too, if I remember correctly.

Hey, thanks for your reply :)
When I googled for schools the ones you mentioned also came up and Franklin and Marshall College, Southwestern University and Indiana University Bloomington. So I would actually like to stay in the US and I think the best fit would be Bloomington for me, but we'll see.
I also thought about Animal Science and Zoology but the schools that I looked at wouldn't have Creative Writing minors or something similar and I would also love to do that, but I have time to do some more research and maybe find something that fits :p

It was more like "Hell yeah I'm done! Wait there's still a semester left :(."

Good luck in the final half of high school, everyone. This half is the most fun! Most of you can drive now. You can go and do stuff, hang out with your friends, take road trips.
Soak it up. Keep your eye on getting into a good college - after all, for many schools, junior year is the final year which grades are looked at for college admission - but don't let your academics rob you of your social life. That's one of my biggest regrets from the last two years.

Congratulations - push through!

I was accepted to Alabama in September, guaranteed a really generous scholarship package, etc. Senioritis didn't really begin for me until late February or early March. At that point, you're close to graduation, want to be finished with high school, get ready for college, etc. Our school gave us our caps and gowns in March. It was tantalizing looking at that robe in my closet when getting ready for school. Naturally, if you let them, your grades will drop, but I was able to pull off at 4.5 for both semesters of senior year since I hunkered down and pushed through the final quarter. It's just a mental game you have to play.

Woo! Class of 2014 represent! I literally can't believe it. I remember my first day of High School :(

Anywho, I want to leave the South, and go up to NJ or WA. I was dead set on a Biology major, and hopefully going to Med School to study Ped. Onc/Hem, but now, I am debating:

- Infectious Diseases

- Orthapedic Surgery

- Psychiatry

Decisions, decisions..

Woo! Class of 2014 represent! I literally can't believe it. I remember my first day of High School :(

Anywho, I want to leave the South, and go up to NJ or WA. I was dead set on a Biology major, and hopefully going to Med School to study Ped. Onc/Hem, but now, I am debating:

- Infectious Diseases

- Orthapedic Surgery

- Psychiatry

Decisions, decisions..

I live in the South too (Georgia) and want to move to the North as well. Right now, I believe it is best for us to not really worry about the type of physician we want to be, but be more worried about getting accepted into the colleges we like, which we still can do by working hard throughout junior year. Like I believe I want to be an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon that specializes in pediatrics, but when I enter college, I may not even want to try to become a physician and instead become a nurse or work in finance (which right now I feel that can only be a 5% chance of occurring), though I want to go to a BS/MD college. Just take one day at a time. This is just my advice...

^^ I remembered when I wanted to do Psychiatry, then my mind sort of switched to the well being of animals. Psychiatry looks interesting to get into though.

I wanted to be a Vet when I was younger... but then.I thought of getting bit by a dog, which is my biggest fear ( LOL-- I am Lame.)) so I decided to stick with people.

I plan to major in;Psychology in Undergrad. Now, I am debating Psychiatry or Pediatric EM.

I used to be afraid of dogs in general when I was younger because I had terrible experiences with a lot of dogs, but the more I had those bad experiences made me realize that I actually love those little suckers lol. I never really had a set reason why I decided I wanted to become a veterinarian. But veterinary medicine has that little spark, that flare, that keeps me going, keeps me chasing for it, expecting nothing but the best.

main goal as of now is to keep upward trend going, and to get into any college tbh which shouldn't be a problem. Plan on taking an AP in a Science and Math senior year hopefully.

Cool, I'm taking two AP sciences next year, AP Biology and AP Chemistry. I'm bad at math, so no AP math for me lol. I plan to take one senior year.

I use to come on this forum very often, reading around everywhere but then I got bored because it seemed only thing there was to read was hSDN 2012. I was like -_- .

Then just stop coming on completely, no disrespect but after a while it just got boring considering I was C/O 2014 <3 :love:

To all C/O 2012: Congrats on recent graduation & next step in life but get your stinky butts out of this thread! (lol kidding about the last part.. somewhat) ;)
I'll be popping in on this forum more often now I know there is more of us exist.

My goal: Major in Psych & Pre-Med - Specialize in Psychiatry and if it don't work out I can always go back and get a higher degree in psychology. Of course I have to make through highschool first.

I'm a 2012er, and my advice to you is enjoy your time in high school. Don't expect your career plans to be set in cement. Heck, I joined here looking into pharmacy, then considered teaching biology, and now I'm between pediatrics and dentistry. Try a little of everything if you can: most successful people only regret the things they didn't do. Let yourself go after what you want, and don't feel trapped to medical careers.

Now, where in the blazes is the Class of 2013 thread? xD

I use to come on this forum very often, reading around everywhere but then I got bored because it seemed only thing there was to read was hSDN 2012. I was like -_- .

To all C/O 2012: Congrats on recent graduation & next step in life but get your stinky butts out of this thread! (lol kidding about the last part.. somewhat) ;)

:laugh: Point taken! Adios, and best wishes to you all as you begin the second half of high school~

So, where are all the C/O 2014 at? Are you guys doing anything special this summer? internship at a clinic? Early shadowing?

^ I have an internship at a veterinarian clinic July 5th until August. I'm kind of nervous and little excited.

Oh! That sounds really exciting. Wish you the best of luck :) Is it a paid internship and/or experience? What kind of duties would you be doing? Even though I don't plan on becoming a veterinary, I do love animals and would love to volunteer at a shelter or do some kind of work which involved working them closely.

Its good to see this thread finally waking up! Any of you in HOSA? My school just got back from Nationals and it was a blast!

Oh! That sounds really exciting. Wish you the best of luck :) Is it a paid internship and/or experience? What kind of duties would you be doing? Even though I don't plan on becoming a veterinary, I do love animals and would love to volunteer at a shelter or do some kind of work which involved working them closely.

Thanks~ It's not paid, it's just for exploring and getting an inside look of how veterinary clinics work and the many duties of veterinarians. I'm going to, clean and stock, (clean counters, help stocking at the pharmacy, prepare the exam room, do laundry, clean instruments, cut syringe caps and etc.) Lab work, (sending and setting fecals, urinalysis, ear cytologies, and in-house blood work) Surgery, (fill catheters, flush syringes, clean surgical site, scrup/sterilize packs) and Patient Restraint, (nail trimming, anal sac/temperature ear cleaning, SQ fluids and Jugular, Cephalic, and Saphenous Venipuncture) and et cetera.

It's a lot of work, but beneficial :) You should volunteer at a shelter, it's really interesting.

Does anyone else sometimes read the other doctor sections on this site to get an idea of what they want to go into or is it just me?

Does anyone else sometimes read the other doctor sections on this site to get an idea of what they want to go into or is it just me?

No it isn't just you. I believe all of us do. The purpose of the site is to share life from high school to attending years while pursuing a specialty in medicine. I look at the Neurosurgery, Orthopedic, and Plastic Surgery pages a lot because those specialties interests me the most at this time, which will change as I progress through life. Also, I look at the Pre-Dental, Dental, MCAT, Pre-Medical Allopathic, USLME, and Allopathic forums.

I know this one girl who wanted to become a doctor she was stuck between M.D. or D.O. She finally decided to go with M.D., then she really like dermatology and then changed her mind into plastic surgery, then changed it AGAIN to psychiatry, and now she going to school to hopefully earn her MD and go into cardiology. Who knows, she could change her mind again lol. I haven't talked to her in awhile, but It'll be cool to here from her and in the "work house" (This is what she calls college lol)

Anyone going to be taking any SAT subject tests this year? I'm taking Lit., chem, and Math 2. I haven't even taken chemistry yet...goin to be taking it this year.

Anyone going to be taking any SAT subject tests this year? I'm taking Lit., chem, and Math 2. I haven't even taken chemistry yet...goin to be taking it this year.

I haven't even took the regular SAT yet. I don't think I'll do it until the beginning of next year. I know the two SAT subjects I need to take is Chemistry and Math 2.

I haven't even took the regular SAT yet. I don't think I'll do it until the beginning of next year. I know the two SAT subjects I need to take is Chemistry and Math 2.

I had to take the SAT because I'm going to be dual enrolling at my local CC for almost all my classes this year, so my school said I have to take the SAT in order to dual enroll. The minimum score was a 500 in CR and 480 in math. - I killed those scores, lol. I need to take the SAT again, and I'm hoping for a 2300+. In fact, I'm doing SAT math right now, lol (the mth in the SAT just kills me).

I've just started reading a chem textbook and I'm jotting down notes as I read. Hopefully, by the time school starts, everything will be a review for me. Math 2 is just going to be hard. I'm not terrible at math, but I'm okay. I gotta really focus my time on that. SAT lit. is where I'm really putting my focus on right now, though.

I think I'm going to create a SAT thread, and we can post how we're studying for the SAT, and stuff like that...I'll mke it later. I don't know if anyone's crazy enough to study for the SAT's in the summer though... :laugh: