HUGE dilemma- need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alcmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a big dilemma on my hands and need some input. Here goes: I've spent a few years in another specialty but have decided over the past year that I would like to pursue pathology. Therefore, I talked to the program director here over the summer and he encouraged me to re-enter ERAS and the match for 2005. Also of note, I am in a part of the country that I like, but do not love, so in a way I am excited for the chance to possibly be in a more desireable location and start over. At this point, I have 6 interview offers.

So yesterday, I met with the PD here again just to chat about pathology and to my surprise, he had interviews set up for me when I arrived. Then I got a phone call yesterday evening saying that they like me and would now like to offer me a contract outside of the match.

I like the people here and feel the program has good potential, on the other hand, (and I'll be blunt) it's not a huge name in pathology and isn't exactly in a great town for someone who is in their late 20's and single. On the plus side, I have a nice bunch of friends here, I live in a very convienent place, and know my way around. There are some fun things to do, but a significant # of people my age are settled, something that I am not particularly interested in doing at this time.

Therefore, I could either accept the offer in a place that's okay, or I can risk it and tell them I would rather enter the match. They have been decent to me here so I feel really bad rejecting the contract, plus, since I am currently employed in another specialty I don't have a ton of time to interview and could probably swing 5 interviews at the most. And if I piss them off here, there's no guarantee they would rank me high enough to match in March. And I would rather be with a job in a place that's alright (though not my top choice) than unemployed in July.

I need help badly- would really appreciate some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a tough dilemma - I guess it comes down to what you really want. If this program is an academic center, and as you say up and coming, a motivated resident can do very well. There is a lot of talk thrown around about how "go to the best program you can" etc, but that isn't necessarily true.

Part of residency is being happy with where you are. No doubt you could go around to other programs, perhaps you would see some you liked better, perhaps you wouldn't be that impressed. That's an unknown factor at this point.

If the PD is a reasonable person, I would talk to them about your options - there are very few that are so biased towards their own program that they wouldn't suggest you not consider any other programs. They can give you advice perhaps on what your chances are, what places are likely to interview you (it is getting late to apply). Perhaps they can extend the offer until you have a couple of other interviews?

Ultimately this will be a decision you have to make - it sounds like this program would like to have you come there and that is a good sign. I guess what I would ask yourself is, "what am I going to see in other programs that would make me strongly consider going there instead?" And then, is it worth the risk? I would predict that if you are good enough to be offered a contract so quickly that other programs would also like to have you around, and thus you would not go unmatched, but there are no guarantees.

They must really want to keep you! It's a flattering offer, and probably speaks to your competetiveness as a candidate. You can't blame them for trying...but I think most PDs recognize that it benefits both you and them if you at least look at other places. That way if/when you return to them, you will be truly happy knowing that you evaluated your options and STILL chose them. They want happy residents who really want to be at their program! I think the trick is showing a ton of enthusiasm and appreciation for the offer: assure them that you love their program and they are top on your list, but to be fair to them and to yourself, you want to just get a feel for what else is out there. This is reasonable, I think. (I do think it's important to stress to them that there is a very high likelihood of you ranking them #1, from a diplomatic standpoint. You want to make them feel good about extending that offer, and keep yourself high on their list. If they get a vibe that you aren't interested in and/or grateful for the offer, your rank may drop.) So I say go ahead with the match and explore your options, but don't burn any bridges with the home program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the sort of person who would take the offer, skip the interview process, and enjoy not worrying about where I was going to be the following year.

Having an assured position is a good thing. However, it would probably be worth your time to check out at least a few other places for comparison. If the PD is reasonable, he should be willing to let you explore a couple more places before you decide to accept their offer. You should be able to set up visits at some programs you are interested in even before formal interviews begin.

According to your original post, your PD actually encouraged you to re-enter the match process! If you say something like: "Thank you very much for arranging this; however, after our first conversation, I took YOUR advice and re-entered the match. Therefore, I feel obligated to at least interview at the schools who've already extended me interviews!"

I'm quite certain that the PD will not only understand, but actually encourage it. Our physicians always tell us that THEY explore their options thoroughly before taking positions; thus, they expect that we would/should do likewise.

GOOD LUCK

Thank you all very much for responding. This is a tough decision because the guarantee of a job is very appealing; on the other hand, I'm very interested in a few of the places where I have been offered interviews and at least want to see what they are all about.

Thanks; I'm thinking of how I want to word this to the PD here.