Huge mistakes on step 2 cs... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailormoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For like 2-3 cases, I ran out of time and left out a total blank for the workup part for one case, and didnt complete the differentials and diagnostic workup for other 2-3 cases...

Does anyone have any similar experience to mine and still passed?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen people with twice the amount of your mistakes and unimaginable horror slip-ups passing quite comfortably. You should pass unless you swore at the SPs.

There are reported cases of people swearing in the patient room and still passing CS.

@sazerac??? Really? that's seems very hard to believe though, am not doubting ur claim but it's just surprising that they passed after swearing in the room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
@sailormoon i know it can be difficult but don't think about the test now,ur done with it,there is nothing u can do to change it and move on to other areas of ur prep.you will get the result someday hopefully u will do well but until then try to shift ur focus.

@sazerac??? Really? that's seems very hard to believe though, am not doubting ur claim but it's just surprising that they passed after swearing in the room!
Here's a couple examples (search for the word "curse")

http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s...here-s-my-story.html#/topics/250354?_k=56vvss

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/impending-step-2-cs-failure.1176672/

There was a really funny report on usmle-forums about a guy and all his mistakes including swearing, and how he passed CS anyway. It was pretty funny, but I can't find it now.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope it works out for all of us. I'll admit I've descended into depression over the CS, since I've already failed it once in ICE without cursing… pretty heartbroken about the experience in general. I just feel like it scrambles my mind being there under a time limit and transitioning so much under pressure.

@Konda you have used the word "experience" in your post. Experience and heartbreak cannot make up the same sentence.choose one..so which one? If u choose heartbreak,can u do something about it? Nope.if you choose experience,u r wise! Because it will teach us how to be good next time.common man,everyone fails at some
Point in something or the other in life. It appears to be a big deal because we let it be one.don't let it be a big deal, we can overcome it move on and become successful. You said time pressure,and scrambling.instead of looking it negatively,think about it this way. It is making u a better doc, better person overall,teaching us the time management which is an essential skills,we just have to accept it and make necessary changes in practice. Lot of people fail in ice, honestly it is my weak area as well,but i have worked on it and improved,seeked help and moved on. Be happy we all will do well,remember that! Cheers!

@Konda you have used the word "experience" in your post. Experience and heartbreak cannot make up the same sentence.choose one..so which one? If u choose heartbreak,can u do something about it? Nope.if you choose experience,u r wise! Because it will teach us how to be good next time.common man,everyone fails at some
Point in something or the other in life. It appears to be a big deal because we let it be one.don't let it be a big deal, we can overcome it move on and become successful. You said time pressure,and scrambling.instead of looking it negatively,think about it this way. It is making u a better doc, better person overall,teaching us the time management which is an essential skills,we just have to accept it and make necessary changes in practice. Lot of people fail in ice, honestly it is my weak area as well,but i have worked on it and improved,seeked help and moved on. Be happy we all will do well,remember that! Cheers!

You do raise some valid points. My sadness stems from my own disappointment in myself I suppose. I keep remembering things I did wrong, clues I missed in the moment that hit me when I left the test, my own panic getting in the way of performing well (especially since I had failed it once before, which made my anxiety intense). I'm hoping for the best, but it's challenging to endure the wait and be left with nothing but memories of my mistakes. It would be truly catastrophic to have failed a second time despite all of my hard work to improve in ICE. I agree I am thinking negatively, but the errors are certainly there, and I can't deny that. I feel like I may never truly master all this. So much unaccounted for, and there's so little to control in the unexpected. For example, I often get confused by the SPs because I know they're faking it, but I can't tell if it's real life or the scenario we are supposed to believe. IDK. I just a bad feeling about all of it.

but thinking about it would change nothing about it.you would be better off being more productive or enjoy ur post exam free time if u have some. Getting done with the exam itself is a huge task and a huge relief.Congrats for that!

Reactions: 1 user
For like 2-3 cases, I ran out of time and left out a total blank for the workup part for one case, and didnt complete the differentials and diagnostic workup for other 2-3 cases...
I just took mine -and I coudlnt complete the hpi for one case - only got the description in for the chief complaint - which sucks because i had supporting evidence from the history for my ddx :/ and for another -i had 3 ddx listed but only had time to type in the supporting evidence for the first one. I feel like i wasnt very good with my counselling - and with the recent changes in performance standards i feel like i wont pass this exam. Anyone with a similar experience? :/

I just took mine -and I coudlnt complete the hpi for one case - only got the description in for the chief complaint - which sucks because i had supporting evidence from the history for my ddx :/ and for another -i had 3 ddx listed but only had time to type in the supporting evidence for the first one. I feel like i wasnt very good with my counselling - and with the recent changes in performance standards i feel like i wont pass this exam.

I hope it works out for all of us. I'll admit I've descended into depression over the CS, since I've already failed it once in ICE without cursing… pretty heartbroken about the experience in general. I just feel like it scrambles my mind being there under a time limit and transitioning so much under pressure.

I also failed ICE part and have to take it again. What do we do differently this time for ICE section? Kaplan or some course? How much time do we invest this time for CS?

Last edited:

Hey did you end up passing ? I am so worried about my exam and I did the same thing