1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Human Anatomy and Physiology Pre-req?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by FuturePharmD81, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey everyone :)
    I have a question, I took Human Anatomy a few semesters ago and didnt do so well. So now its time to retake the class. My question is I took Human Anatomy (4credits) separate from Physiology (4 credits). Now i want to take Human Anatomy and physiology 1 (a combined course) at a local State college because they dont offer them separately, would it look weird if i dont take Human Anatomy and physio 2? I did well in Physiology so now i'm stuck on what to do
    Thanks

#1 FuturePharmD81, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Fuaaark

Pre-Pharmacy
    might look bad that you failed it at a university and then retook at a community college.

also some schools don't allow anatomy and physio to be taken at community colleges (my top school for instance)

3. OP
    OP
    FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Sorry I made a typo, I meant to say I would be retaking it at a state college. Also I didnt fail the class the first time, I would just like to retake it to get a higher score.

My question was would it be fine if I take Human Anatomy and physiology 1 to suffice for Human Anatomy? The reason I wouldnt want to take Human Anatomy and physio 2 is because I already took Physiology separately and it was worth 4 credits

4. Project2015

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Are you sure that A&P 1 is really equivalent to A? Usually when schools combine them into one sequence, it's not divided like that. A&P 1 typically includes the anatomy and physiology of half of the systems, while A&P 2 has the rest. In other words, the anatomy is only introduced just prior to discussing the corresponding physiology.

5. OP
    OP
    FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That's where my question was heading towards thanks for simplifying it! :) I want to know if it would be okay to take a&p1 as a retake for human anatomy even though that couse included the entire human body in one class. I also took physio for the entire body in a seperate class. I just don't want to waste tuition money on a&p 2 if I can only take the first half, and that would satisfy the retake for human anatomy.

6. qmoto

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was told by my counselor not to take the A&P combined course because most schools want the anatomy with lab by itself.

7. Project2015

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If that is the case, I don't think it'll be considered quite equivalent. You should check with your prospective pharmacy schools. I say this because if a school only requires P, you must either take P only or A&P 1 and 2 to satisfy P.

How "bad" was your grade? It might not be even worth it to retake.

8. MsPharmacist2B

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This makes me sad. Why is this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rxlea

rxlea Almost a unicorn
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some schools don't consider CC classes to be equivalent in terms of difficulty/rigor.

10. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Also, CC's only offer 1000 and 2000 level classes (or whatever your state's equivalent is). Sometimes classes are required from a higher level (3000 or above), in those cases CC's are out of the question. Pretty rare for that to be the case last time I checked though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. FLaCoPHaRm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Last spring I took physio at a university, I decided to finish up my other pre-reqs at a CC in order to apply earlier. If I were to take A&P 1-2 I would lose the Univeristy Physio. So I decided to take my anatomy class at the university and last bit of pre-reqs (physics/orgo2) at my CC.

At the univeristy it was either orgo or physics, couldn't do it together since both classes were M-F.

12. MsPharmacist2B

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    :thumbup: