1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Human Anatomy and Physiology Pre-req?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by FuturePharmD81, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey everyone :)
    I have a question, I took Human Anatomy a few semesters ago and didnt do so well. So now its time to retake the class. My question is I took Human Anatomy (4credits) separate from Physiology (4 credits). Now i want to take Human Anatomy and physiology 1 (a combined course) at a local State college because they dont offer them separately, would it look weird if i dont take Human Anatomy and physio 2? I did well in Physiology so now i'm stuck on what to do
    Thanks

#1 FuturePharmD81, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fuaaark

Pre-Pharmacy
    might look bad that you failed it at a university and then retook at a community college.

also some schools don't allow anatomy and physio to be taken at community colleges (my top school for instance)

4. FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Sorry I made a typo, I meant to say I would be retaking it at a state college. Also I didnt fail the class the first time, I would just like to retake it to get a higher score.

My question was would it be fine if I take Human Anatomy and physiology 1 to suffice for Human Anatomy? The reason I wouldnt want to take Human Anatomy and physio 2 is because I already took Physiology separately and it was worth 4 credits

5. Project2015

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Are you sure that A&P 1 is really equivalent to A? Usually when schools combine them into one sequence, it's not divided like that. A&P 1 typically includes the anatomy and physiology of half of the systems, while A&P 2 has the rest. In other words, the anatomy is only introduced just prior to discussing the corresponding physiology.

6. FuturePharmD81

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That's where my question was heading towards thanks for simplifying it! :) I want to know if it would be okay to take a&p1 as a retake for human anatomy even though that couse included the entire human body in one class. I also took physio for the entire body in a seperate class. I just don't want to waste tuition money on a&p 2 if I can only take the first half, and that would satisfy the retake for human anatomy.

7. qmoto

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was told by my counselor not to take the A&P combined course because most schools want the anatomy with lab by itself.

8. Project2015

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If that is the case, I don't think it'll be considered quite equivalent. You should check with your prospective pharmacy schools. I say this because if a school only requires P, you must either take P only or A&P 1 and 2 to satisfy P.

How "bad" was your grade? It might not be even worth it to retake.

9. MsPharmacist2B

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This makes me sad. Why is this?

10. rxlea

rxlea Almost a unicorn
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some schools don't consider CC classes to be equivalent in terms of difficulty/rigor.

11. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Also, CC's only offer 1000 and 2000 level classes (or whatever your state's equivalent is). Sometimes classes are required from a higher level (3000 or above), in those cases CC's are out of the question. Pretty rare for that to be the case last time I checked though.

12. FLaCoPHaRm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Last spring I took physio at a university, I decided to finish up my other pre-reqs at a CC in order to apply earlier. If I were to take A&P 1-2 I would lose the Univeristy Physio. So I decided to take my anatomy class at the university and last bit of pre-reqs (physics/orgo2) at my CC.

At the univeristy it was either orgo or physics, couldn't do it together since both classes were M-F.

13. MsPharmacist2B

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    :thumbup: