Human Biology or General Biology for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimisticgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm curious as to which biology course would be best to take in preparation for the MCAT: Human Biology or General Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

General. If you plan to take the MCAT, then you're probably thinking about going to medical school, which means you need a year of general biology anyway. And it's definitely tested on the MCAT.

What exactly is taught in a "human" biology class anyway? I've heard of majors in human biology, but not a single class....

Is human biology = physiology maybe?

Basically you need
Physiology
Some cell, some genetics, some micro. All of which should/would be covered in general biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely not.

Human bio may help you, but general bio is best for the MCAT.
Absolutely yes. I took both classes and human biology pretty much covered the entirety of EK Bio/TPRH with more detail. In General Bio I learned a lot of useless stuff about animals and plants and didn't covered topics like muscles, lymphatic system, etc to the depth found in the EK and TPRH series.

Absolutely yes. I took both classes and human biology pretty much covered the entirety of EK Bio/TPRH with more detail. In General Bio I learned a lot of useless stuff about animals and plants and didn't covered topics like muscles, lymphatic system, etc to the depth found in the EK and TPRH series.

Guess it depends on the institution. My school's gen bio classes cover all of that.

+1. My gen bio 1 class taught us cellular bio and a bit of genetics, but bio 2 was all evolution/zoology stuff. Super boring. Since I'm not a bio major I should have just taken bio 1, genetics, and physiology.

G bio. you'll get better grades. and either one it won't make a difference cause the mcat reallly tests those basic intro classes and whatever else will be covered in your prep probably. i'd say the summer before you take it start obsessing about the mCAT. read the 30+ thread and sn2 thread.

To be quite honest, take them both.

I'd imagine they're of similar difficulty, which shouldn't be difficult to begin with since they're presumably introductory level. It'll help you prepare for MCAT, and it'll help your cGPA and sGPA.

Yes, Human Bio is basically Anatomy and Physiology, but it would fulfill the Biology prerequisite for med schools. Many students at my institution say Human Bio would best prepare for the MCAT because it focuses on what you need to know for the exam, but General Bio would help prepare for medical school?

It depends on the school you take these two courses. For me, Human Bio had more usefulness in terms of MCAT topics, but Gen Bio was good for a small overview of genetics, populations, ecology, etc. I would try to get the syllabus for both classes and make a determination based on the topics.