Human Development vs Developmental Psych PreReq?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblah56

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all, i have a question regarding the developmental psychology prereq required for some pt schools. i previously took a course required for my major which was called human development and the text we used was called development across the life span. the class dealt with anatomy and physiology of human development, but a large portion of the course dealt with the psychological and social aspect of development as well. can the course i previously took count as a prereq for developmental psych or should i take the course anyway? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In your course catalog, there should be a description of the class. My advice is to send that to the schools you are wishing to apply to and ask if it meets their Developmental Psych requirement.

yeah i did that, im hoping that these schools will accept it since only 2 schools im applying to require that course. what do you guys think?
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']
FAMR 230 Human Development (3)
Concepts, issues, theories of human growth and development from conception to death; systems approaches to inquiry into factors affecting growth and development.

PSY 240 Developmental Psychology (3)
Emotional, mental, physical, social development from infancy to adulthood; interests and abilities at different age levels...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i did that, im hoping that these schools will accept it since only 2 schools im applying to require that course. what do you guys think?
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
FAMR 230 Human Development (3)
Concepts, issues, theories of human growth and development from conception to death; systems approaches to inquiry into factors affecting growth and development.

PSY 240 Developmental Psychology (3)
Emotional, mental, physical, social development from infancy to adulthood; interests and abilities at different age levels...

I am afraid the class you took was a physiology course more than a psychology course. I don't think the schools that you apply to would substitute it as a psychology course. The same thing happened to me and I had to take dev. psych. to fulfill my prerequisites.

Well, I took that class (actually called human growth and development) and I think we even used the same book, and it was an acceptable prereq, at least for the schools I applied.

xmerryx, which school accepted that as a prereq? maybe i applied at the same one.

My class's book was also called Development Across the Lifespan (I go to UIUC). Northwestern's pre-req stated: One course in human or child development (e.g., developmental psychology, human growth and development) and they counted my class for that. So hopefully other schools would be the same! For UIC I did take abnormal psychology even though they said you could do either abnormal or developmental psychology.