Human Histology vs. Determinative Bacteriology

Started by Tortue
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tortue

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I need your help is deciding which class would be more helpful for Vet School. I need to register for fall classes and I'd like to choose an interesting class that can also help me once I get into vet school.

Thx 🙂
 
From what I've heard, everyone in vet school has had to work very hard in histology. If it were me, I'd be taking human histology because it would give you a good leg up there.

Take this with a grain of salt though as I start vet school in the fall. I'm just going by what I've read. There is a thread here about everyone's "toughest class" (I can't remember if it is on here or the veterinary forum, but it is one of the two) and that has been very helpful to me.
 
Histology would be cool to take, and it probably doesn't matter much at all that it's human histology. I could see that being very useful. Though I have heard some vet students saying that histology drives them nuts. 🙂

I have no idea what determinative bacteriology is. Can you explain/post a course description? Now I'm curious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It has to do with bacterial classification; study of bacteria important to man in agriculture, industry, also about pathogens.
 
It has to do with bacterial classification; study of bacteria important to man in agriculture, industry, also about pathogens.

If you want the most useful of the 2 for vet school, go for the human histo.
 
i had a hard enough time taking histo when i was forced to, let alone taking it as an optional course....

Allow me to generalize: you're gonna hate it. ha.
 
add me to the list of histo haters. Although it would have helped tremendously to have some knowledge on it before I started, I think I would have died if I was made to sit through one more day of that stuff...
 
i had a hard enough time taking histo when i was forced to, let alone taking it as an optional course....

Allow me to generalize: you're gonna hate it. ha.

This is a very accurate generalization:laugh:
 
I really liked histology when I took it at Cal Poly Pomona... I'm guess I'm weird?! I had a great teacher though and I seriously mastered the microscope. 😀
 
add me to the list of histo haters. Although it would have helped tremendously to have some knowledge on it before I started, I think I would have died if I was made to sit through one more day of that stuff...

Here here! *raises glass*

I told a friend of mine who wants to apply to medical school when he's done in a year or two with his PhD that, for the love of God, take histology now! It would have been crappy taking it twice (I have a feeling that histology will go down as my least favorite class ever), but at least you get a feel for the nomenclature.
 
yeah..histo seems to be very hard and boring...I don't want to take it..but I guess is going to help me adjust to Histo while in Vet school...I don't have clinical animal experience and have been applying to veterinary offices and hospitals, hoping that someone would give me the opportunity to assist in the kennel or around the clinic...but so far I've had no luck 🙁...gonna keep trying, though. So if I get a job I won't be able to take the class, which doesn't make me sad 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah..histo seems to be very hard and boring...I don't want to take it..but I guess is going to help me adjust to Histo while in Vet school...I don't have clinical animal experience and have been applying to veterinary offices and hospitals, hoping that someone would give me the opportunity to assist in the kennel or around the clinic...but so far I've had no luck 🙁...gonna keep trying, though. So if I get a job I won't be able to take the class, which doesn't make me sad 😱

I would suggest not taking a class as an elective just because you think you should. If you don't want to take it, don't elect to do so. Seriously. Enjoy life. Don't torture yourself because you think it'll be good for you in some big picture way. It's not worth it.
 
I would suggest not taking a class as an elective just because you think you should. If you don't want to take it, don't elect to do so. Seriously. Enjoy life. Don't torture yourself because you think it'll be good for you in some big picture way. It's not worth it.

Or alternatively, perhaps auditing/sitting in on the course (at least the lecture part) may be helpful.
 
I would suggest not taking a class as an elective just because you think you should. If you don't want to take it, don't elect to do so. Seriously. Enjoy life. Don't torture yourself because you think it'll be good for you in some big picture way. It's not worth it.

For what it's worth I agree with VAgirl. Take whatever sounds more fun to you!
 
*shudders* I would never take Histology just for the hell of it, I don't think I could take another second of that class. I never had any experience with it in undergrad and I did well in the course despite hating every second of it, so if your not interested in it I say wait for the torture to begin at vet school and not a second before!