Human Right Watch Investigating Plight of Opioid Refugees...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

Battle Over Opioids: Surprising Push-Back, and Not from Dealers - WhoWhatWhy

"One of the new recruits to the “counter-narrative” camp appears to be the respected nonprofit Human Rights Watch (HRW). The group is still investigating the problem, interviewing scores of pain patients alarmed that they may be cut off from their medications, Diederik Lohman told WhoWhatWhy. Its full report is expected by the end of the year. But Lohman, health director for the group, makes clear that he’s been disturbed by what he’s heard. The new laws and guidelines, he contended, are intimidating many doctors who are worried that they will lose their medical licenses."

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm not worried about my license at all. For the handful of patients I have on opioids as an FP, they see me monthly with UDS at least q3 month sometimes more. Check the database every time. No one is on more than 40 MME.

I'm not going to get in trouble this way.

That said, I do take the pansy way out and tell patients I'm scared for my license and that's why I won't give them their candy.

At what point are we, as the article mentioned, liable to board scrutiny and legal action?

My impression is as long as the vast majority of your patients are at morphine equivalent <90, you’re okay... but it’s really unclear. Kinda scary