Humane society conditions....

Started by Phebe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phebe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am volunteering at the humane society and have some question about the living condition.

I know the finance of the Humane society has a very tight budget, but cats do not have cat sand for their box and replaced with paper from the shredder. Is it a problem? At first we still have teared newspaper strips...but not anymore. I am afraid that those shredded paper are so long and thin that those cats may chew it up. Do you think that will happen? Besides, originally the cat room is only for cats and kittens... but have no idea why puppies and small dog are stay the same room with the cats.....is it really a problem? I am just curious about how other places work... and if I am just worrying about thing that not a problem at all.

Thanks
 
I am volunteering at the humane society and have some question about the living condition.

I know the finance of the Humane society has a very tight budget, but cats do not have cat sand for their box and replaced with paper from the shredder. Is it a problem? At first we still have teared newspaper strips...but not anymore. I am afraid that those shredded paper are so long and thin that those cats may chew it up. Do you think that will happen? Besides, originally the cat room is only for cats and kittens... but have no idea why puppies and small dog are stay the same room with the cats.....is it really a problem? I am just curious about how other places work... and if I am just worrying about thing that not a problem at all.

Thanks

Lots of places use shredded paper. It saves money, and then you REALLY do not need to worry about someone trying to read your documents👍 I have not seen any problems caused by this.
 
Lots of places use shredded paper. It saves money, and then you REALLY do not need to worry about someone trying to read your documents👍 I have not seen any problems caused by this.

hehe...I use shredded paper for my rabbits and degus and your right...nobody's going to try and read the documents after the critters have used them!! Why pay to have confidential documents shredded when you can shred them yourself and use them as litter for a little added security :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We used shredded documents at the last vet office I worked for! Good way to recycle!
 
I've volunteered in a shelter that was not well funded too. I don't think that any of the things you mention are going to hurt the animals. I know that in the shelter I worked at there situations that were definitely not ideal, but I know that the people that ran it always had the animals' best interest at heart. Since it was a town shelter, it was usually crowding issues. I think that you should take a look at the people who run the shelter and work there. Do they seem to care about the animals and want to get them into homes? If so, then they probably are trying to act in the best interests of the animals. Working in a shelter is terrific experience and you can really learn a lot about the sometimes disappointing/frustrating aspects of working with people and animals and you can feel like you are really making a difference.
 
That's great, so I am just making something up to worry😳
 
Yay for helping at the shelter! 🙂

We use shredded paper if the cats have a healing wound or incision that regular litter might get into and cause infection. The only problem I've seen with it is that some cats aren't used to that surface and don't like to do their business in it.
 
That's a fantastic way to recycle paper and not have to waste money on expensive litter! I might start doing that here at home if I ever get into a squeeze financially... which is bound to happen with tuition on the rise. :idea:
 
But the problem is, some cats don't really like it and make the box of paper into their bed instead🙂
 
But the problem is, some cats don't really like it and make the box of paper into their bed instead🙂

While the conditions may not be "ideal" they are much better than if the cat was in a poor home or out on the street. The humane society is doing what it can with its funds.
 
Don't worry if the cats lay in their litter boxes. It is probably more of a stress thing than the paper. For whatever reason, cats often like to lay in their litter boxes when they are stressed out or scared. I have also seen them do this in the vet clinic I work at.
 
Don't worry if the cats lay in their litter boxes. It is probably more of a stress thing than the paper. For whatever reason, cats often like to lay in their litter boxes when they are stressed out or scared. I have also seen them do this in the vet clinic I work at.

We found the same thing at the clinic I work at and at the shelter. We have found that either paper bags with the edges rolled down, or an extra litter box with a fleece in it helps. Not sure if there is enough space in the cages to do something like this (there is in standard stainless steel cat cages), but this might help. What's great is it cost the shelter nothing. All of the blankets were handmade and donated by volunteers and we use paper grocery bags (yet another way to reuse!) You could probably get local businesses to donate other supplies like the litter boxes.