Is it worth it to join an honor society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DestinyK

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to this, so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

I am a second semester freshman pre-vet major. Recently I've been getting a lot of emails about "honor societies" which I imagine a lot of them are scams.

However, I did have one mail me a packet of information. It included the names and emails of the officers at my university who are in the honor society, so it seems legit. However, I just don't see the value in paying to be a part of an honor society. The minimum GPA needed to receive an offer is only a 3.4 and I just don't think vet schools would value this much or at all.

My family thinks it might be something to look in to though, so do you all have any opinions or thoughts on this?

Thank you!
Destiny

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question I’ve wanted to ask for a while too. Good question

Reactions: 1 user
I would research which honor societies actually have active chapters at your school. As with any other type of organization, if you're able to get involved and take a leadership role that's something good to put on your vet school application, but just paying money to say you were a member isn't very valuable. For any extracurricular, you should be able to discuss on your application or in an interview what you got out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are in some sort of leadership position or actively assisting, I highly doubt that they care.

I never joined any because most were scams there was one per say "legit" one through school but they still wanted like $85 so I just said invited to x honor society on vmcas

Reactions: 1 user
I was phi beta kappa. But I got that at graduation. It's a good one so I would def accept that if you (or any one else reading this) is accepted down the road.

Interesting to hear there are many that are scams tho. Kinda sad and predatory imo :(