humanities LOR requirement???????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have a list of the schools that require or strongly recommend a LOR from a humanities professor?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure most of them do. The general rule is to apply you need 2 sci, 1 humanity, and 1 other - that will cover you for almost any school in the country.

I doubt anyone has made a list and I think not having a non-science letter is going to SEVERELY limit you but if you think there is absolutely NO WAY you can get a humanities letter then you better start hitting each schools website and finding out their requirements so you can find out where you can apply.

Good luck.

anyone have a list of the schools that require or strongly recommend a LOR from a humanities professor?

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Oh, wait... that was supposed to be in *internal* comment...

Dr.%20Evil.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
woah, i was unaware that you needed a humanities LOR

geezus this calls for more butt kissing?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Oh, wait... that was supposed to be in *internal* comment...

What a jerk you are.

And OP, anything non-science works for 99% of the schools.

does public health count as non-science? just wondering

does public health count as non-science? just wondering

The vast majority of schools I dealt with considered bio, chem, physics, and math to be science and all others non-science.

It's unfortunate that some schools use the term "Humanities" when they mean "not bcpm."

Hmm... I had three letters from biology professors and one from an MD, rather than a token humanities letter from a professor who didn't really know me. Maybe that held me back at some schools, but I was still accepted.

Does engineering count?

I believe engineering is considered a science letter... even though it's not bcpm...

either way, you can definitely play it off as a science LOR, not so sure about the humanities (and I think if you tried to play it off as a humanities, then that might not go over so well with adcoms)

and to the person who asked about public health, look at the department that it's from. If it's from a non-science dept, then go for it.

im worried since i so far only have a biochem phd, two MDs, Comm college phd bio teacher, and possibly someone ive worked with in a community program...i hope this is enough...any comments?

Last edited:
most require at least one non-science

most as in....you should get one

this is exactly why i took psyc this quarter. doesn't fulfill a damn thing. my advisor gave me a funny look when he looked at my schedule.

I used a history professor from a study abroad I went on then did research with- I honestly feel that the humanities professors have better writing skills than many science profs so they can give you great letters!

I used a history professor from a study abroad I went on then did research with- I honestly feel that the humanities professors have better writing skills than many science profs so they can give you great letters!

I agree. I had an interviewer read all 6 of my LOR in front of me and it turned out my one anthropology professor wrote the best LOR of the bunch! All the science profs. just wrote a paragraph... Definitely hit up those non-science because they write great LOR's.

I agree. I had an interviewer read all 6 of my LOR in front of me and it turned out my one anthropology professor wrote the best LOR of the bunch! All the science profs. just wrote a paragraph... Definitely hit up those non-science because they write great LOR's

First off, I think if you elaborated a little bit more, this could belong in that "awkward interview moments" thread :laugh: I'm very surprised that your interviewer did that!

I am not surprised, however, that your anthro prof wrote you a good rec. I got a rec from a prof who I did a year-long philosophy seminar course with - very small, discussion based, tons of participation required. Turns out, he loved me and I didn't even know it. When I asked for a letter, he told me that I out shined the other students by a long shot :p and that he'd be glad to write for me. He also said - and this is the huge part - that due to the 'pecking order' of academia, and the fact that he was a post doctoral fellow rather than a prof, he went out of his way to write an extra glowing and descriptive letter :eek: because he thought it was the only way to compensate for his lack of clout :D. I think that was an uninformed decision, as I doubt any adcom cares whether he's an assistant or associate prof or whatever, but I didn't object :laugh:.

By contrast, I've done very well in competitive science courses whose profs ended up knowing my name despite having 400+ students. When I've approached them for med school recs, I've gotten responses like "well, I can do it, but all I'm really gonna say is that you got an A and I saw you in office hours"

In short, humanities profs are sometimes your best bet!

By contrast, I've done very well in competitive science courses whose profs ended up knowing my name despite having 400+ students. When I've approached them for med school recs, I've gotten responses like "well, I can do it, but all I'm really gonna say is that you got an A and I saw you in office hours"

In short, humanities profs are sometimes your best bet!

OH good lord, that must be heartbreaking to hear.. I'd say I've really made a connection with one of my professors (public health), who says she really thinks highly of me, so I'm glad that's a non-sci prof.

I also have a science prof who I know fairly well and who I think would write a pretty good one.

For the other science though... I think I'm gonna have to take a prof who I don't know all too well. Do you think it's worse to not have a 2nd science rec or not to have a non-science rec?