Quantcast

humanities/social science requirement for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hey,
i have a question about humanities/social science requirement for medical school. Do most medical schools usually group those two categories into one and look at the total credits taken (eg. 18 credits of humanities or social science or both) or do they count the credits separately (eg. minimum of 9 credits in humanities and minimum of 9 credits in social science)? Thank you.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any which group them separately. Most don't have any requirements in those areas, other than English. Of the few that do have that type of requirement, some state specific courses, like psych. The rest just lump humanities and social and behavioral sciences together.

I'm not stating that there are no schools which separate them, just that I haven't seen any.

N

nonesuchgirl

I think that unless they have a specific course req, then it's humanities and social studies as a whole.

Bump. At my school economics can be used to fulfill the social science requirement. AMCAS allowed me to declare micro and macro econ as BESS (Behavioral and social science). Do you think these two courses along with and survey courses in Soc and psych would fulfill the University of Illinois requirement? I'd rather not take another course or blow 100$ or so on the school if they are going to want me to take another.

mauberley

radiating prestige
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bump. At my school economics can be used to fulfill the social science requirement. AMCAS allowed me to declare micro and macro econ as BESS (Behavioral and social science). Do you think these two courses along with and survey courses in Soc and psych would fulfill the University of Illinois requirement? I'd rather not take another course or blow 100$ or so on the school if they are going to want me to take another.

Perhaps this question would be best asked of the school's admissions office.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I think that kind of stuff boils down to the individual schools as they have the final say not AMCAS. Not to mention different schools have different policies with AP classes. They can change the classification of what you/AMCAS said and/or not choose to accept your AP credit.

You probably want to call them before sending them $30 for a primary and $80+ for a secondary.

Yeah figured. I just wanted to check on here before calling on monday.