Thanks for the reply bd4727, definitely an angle worth preparing for. I would contest that the 'majority' of my research experience was as a grad student, it's pretty evenly split between UG/grad/FT (2.5/2/2) but the point stands. I think there's a few ways to approach. The low-hanging fruit is to stress quality over quantity. My first-author publication, based on my grad school research, is a novel analysis that adds substantively to the literature and is in a high IF journal. Secondly, I don't have data for this but I would imagine the bulk of the academic productivity during a student's PhD comes in the latter half, after finishing coursework. Given my graduate degree program was 2 years of classes with no "built-in" research time, I didn't have the same opportunity until after I graduated. Lastly, while my productivity has been pretty good post-grad with co-authorship, the position I'm in isn't one in which I'm able to freely pursue my own projects. My position is explicitly to support faculty-led research [this also partly contributes to why I want to do the MD-PhD]. I work with many different faculty, not 1 lab, so I don't an opportunity to publish first-author research.