Humiliated and disgusted with Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotdogz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Future anesthesiologists, I have been utterly humiliated and quite pissed off at Downstate. I'm having a hard time at obtaining interviews for the second time and getting any invitations is a blessing. Back in October, I received an invite for an interview at Downstate. I was so happy that I called right away only for them to give me this stupid excuse saying that my application will be on hold because I might be eligible for a 2006 position and then they said they'll get back to me. I tried again after 2 weeks and same response. I try again a couple of days ago and they say that the resident selection committee will not be accepting you for an interview. Then why the hell did you send me an invitation. Their response is "maybe there was a mistake, " and quickly got off the phone. Do you believe this? How unprofessional can you be? I wish I got an interview and then on the day of, I"ll just tell them to kiss my @#!. For those that interviewed there, you might have good or bad impressions. But just by this display, program is not worth it, when their staff gets hopes up and crushes them. I still can't believe the way I was treated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am scheduled for an interview there. I believe I met some resistance when scheduling it. I got the feeling that they were not going to schedule me. The person i talked to seemed liked she was screening me....asked for my step 2 scores? I did get scheduled and confirmed, but i felt as if i was applying all over again when i called to schedule the interview. And dont they demand you call for the interview? Only program that i couldnt just email my preferred dates.

Totally ridiculous what happened to you.

Good luck with everything.

Excuse my ignorance - where is downstate? Im not familiar with this place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs don't need to get nasty just because their apps are up. No excuse, I say! Poo on them. :idea:

rugtrousers said:
Programs don't need to get nasty just because their apps are up. No excuse, I say! Poo on them. :idea:

Even programs that are on probation are sporting an attitude just b/c their apps are up. That really pisses me off! I did my internal med rotation at SUNY....not impressed with that program

4-5 years ago they would take anyone with a pulse (even me), now they can apparently afford to p%*( people off. Times change.

Same thing happened to me from an ortho program. First got an invite, then, 2 weeks later, program sent out a mass email telling students not to make airline and hotel reservations yet, because # of applicants are up and PD is raising the bar on boardscores. So, at the end, I got cut. People like this will get theirs someday.

Would you rather have them invite you knowing that you have no chance?

militarymd said:
Would you rather have them invite you knowing that you have no chance?

or better yet, do you really want to go to a program like that? imagine your life there with those turkeys.

hotdogz said:
Future anesthesiologists, I have been utterly humiliated and quite pissed off at Downstate. I'm having a hard time at obtaining interviews for the second time and getting any invitations is a blessing. Back in October, I received an invite for an interview at Downstate. I was so happy that I called right away only for them to give me this stupid excuse saying that my application will be on hold because I might be eligible for a 2006 position and then they said they'll get back to me. I tried again after 2 weeks and same response. I try again a couple of days ago and they say that the resident selection committee will not be accepting you for an interview. Then why the hell did you send me an invitation. Their response is "maybe there was a mistake, " and quickly got off the phone. Do you believe this? How unprofessional can you be? I wish I got an interview and then on the day of, I"ll just tell them to kiss my @#!. For those that interviewed there, you might have good or bad impressions. But just by this display, program is not worth it, when their staff gets hopes up and crushes them. I still can't believe the way I was treated.

error

If a program isn't excited about interviewing me, I don't want to be there in the first place.

veetz said:
If a program isn't excited about interviewing me, I don't want to be there in the first place.
Exactly. Unless your application sucks and your only shot at being in a cool city is to get into a place like Downstate... Maybe that's the best this guy's going to do. I can understand why he (or she) is upset, but to feel humiliated? That's being a bit melodramatic. Obviously the program office made a mistake, which reflects only on their incompetence. Now, if they had invited him for an interview, and sent him to disrobe and change into scrubs in a dark room, only to flick on the lights revealing the entire department of anesthesiology... and in unison they burst into a song ridiculing the most personal details of his life as revealed in his application.. now THAT would be humiliating. And funny!

Reactions: 1 user