Hurry...time's running out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUTigers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I need some very late opinions.

Here's my deal: I graduate in May; this past May I started to fill out the application and took the DAT in July. Once my DAT was over I decided to pick myself up and try once more. I did terrible. From that point on, I decided that I wouldn't apply for 2006. I figured that it probably wouldn't be a good cycle, I could increase my chances, and I certainly didn't want to embarrass myself.

The turning point:My friend had her interview today, and so I called to see how it went. She said that I wouldn't believe the number of reapplicants. That definitely got me thinking about something I hadn't thought of before...why not go ahead and apply this year and at least put my foot in the door. They know my face and are familiar with my stats so certainly they would remember me next year, right?

So: Should I apply this year and if I don't get in reapply next year (to show that I am persistant and really want this) or should I wait until next year when my stats are better?

My Stats- GPA: Under 3.0; DAT: Under 20; worked for orthodontist for 3 years, some volunteer experience; wonderful letters of recommendation (including a composite).

Things that I will do to increase my chances if not accepted: obtain a 2nd Bachelor's degree (only 30 hours), possibly work again in a dental setting, and definitely increase volunteer experience.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO ... if your whole goal of applying this year is to "put foot in the door" then don't do it. Trust me, they won't remember your face/stats by the time next app cycle comes around (seriously, would you if you were dealing with 1000+ applicants??), and even if they do, it won't help. You're too late for this cycle anyways - just wasting money. Instead, work on improving your DAT score, especially to compensate your GPA. If you get above 20 across the board, it'll dramatically improve your chances.

LIer2010 said:
IMHO ... if your whole goal of applying this year is to "put foot in the door" then don't do it. Trust me, they won't remember your face/stats by the time next app cycle comes around (seriously, would you if you were dealing with 1000+ applicants??), and even if they do, it won't help. You're too late for this cycle anyways - just wasting money. Instead, work on improving your DAT score, especially to compensate your GPA. If you get above 20 across the board, it'll dramatically improve your chances.

Agreed. If you really want to wow them, then make your application wow-able. There is no point in wasting money this late in the game unless your app. has got something outstanding to say. Bulk up on some things, go for the extra degree, and up your chances dramatically without spending 2000 dollars in fees. Then again, I am only a student - the best bet would be to get in touch with someone who really knows what you should do...maybe ask profs (they may know better than those working in the offices? Just a thought)?

Members don't see this ad :)
AUTigers said:
Okay guys, I need some very late opinions.

Here's my deal: I graduate in May; this past May I started to fill out the application and took the DAT in July. Once my DAT was over I decided to pick myself up and try once more. I did terrible. From that point on, I decided that I wouldn't apply for 2006. I figured that it probably wouldn't be a good cycle, I could increase my chances, and I certainly didn't want to embarrass myself.

The turning point:My friend had her interview today, and so I called to see how it went. She said that I wouldn't believe the number of reapplicants. That definitely got me thinking about something I hadn't thought of before...why not go ahead and apply this year and at least put my foot in the door. They know my face and are familiar with my stats so certainly they would remember me next year, right?

So: Should I apply this year and if I don't get in reapply next year (to show that I am persistant and really want this) or should I wait until next year when my stats are better?

My Stats- GPA: Under 3.0; DAT: Under 20; worked for orthodontist for 3 years, some volunteer experience; wonderful letters of recommendation (including a composite).

Things that I will do to increase my chances if not accepted: obtain a 2nd Bachelor's degree (only 30 hours), possibly work again in a dental setting, and definitely increase volunteer experience.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you think?

Do what ur heart tells u - and u will never go wrong- the right door will open -and u will know-
stay inspiered!:thumbup:

I agree with the people who posted above. I think you should wait for the next cycle and in the meantime improve your application. It's already quite late into the cycle and even if you have great stats, you're at a disadvantage if you apply now, since many many people are ahead of you in the game in terms of timing. So I say save your money and wait till next cycle.

well, under 3.0 and under 20 for a DAT, tell me then if I were an adcom swamped with thousands of applications, what is the redeeming part of your application? shadowing? everybody's got some. research? heck I can fill the entire class with people who have published articles. volunteering? blaise. "wonderful letters of recommendations", ha! apparently you predents think that we actually read and scrutinize your letters of recommendations.... if we do it's not until 30 minutes before your interview.

I'm not trying to get you down, and if you want to apply by all means go for it because it's not too late at all for many schools.... but you gotta realistically assess your overall application first.

First time I applied, I had a 2.9 science and a 19AA, 17TS. Got 2 interviews. Do what you want, it may be worth a shot.

I am a reapplicant and I can tell you that submitting a late application is better than nothing. Last year I only applied to one school, but my application was not complete until late december(they don't use AADSAS). I had a GPA of 3.3 and science GPA of 3.1......DAT was AA17, TS16, PA17. I got an interview in early March. The down side was that by the time that I interviewed there was something like 5 or 6 spots left for tennessee residents. Obviously I didn't make the cut, my scores were pretty low but I had a good interview that will carry over to this cycle. If I was you I would go for it because you never know what could happen........the odds are against you but at least you will have some experience with the application process.

This does not mean that you should drop a couple of grand on twenty schools though. Just pick the ones that you really want to go to and that you feel you would have a fighting chance at.

Just like the other guy said....."follow your heart." I wish you the best of luck.

Don't be discouraged... if you do have some $$ to spare then go ahead. but just be confident when you do it, afterall, it's your money, your time and your energy. :0) If i was in your shoes, I would take a good look at my stats and compare it to last year's dental entry stats and try to get a general idea from that (but don't forget that those numbers are averages... some have gotten accepted with #'s below that). Do you have something on your application that would stand out from the rest of us who also have research/work experience? :0) gluck.

go for it if you can afford it-the worse that can happen is that you won't be accepted.

do you have a state school, or a school that prefers your state? it might help your chances.

good luck

geckel said:
I am a reapplicant and I can tell you that submitting a late application is better than nothing. Last year I only applied to one school, but my application was not complete until late december(they don't use AADSAS). I had a GPA of 3.3 and science GPA of 3.1......DAT was AA17, TS16, PA17. I got an interview in early March. The down side was that by the time that I interviewed there was something like 5 or 6 spots left for tennessee residents. Obviously I didn't make the cut, my scores were pretty low but I had a good interview that will carry over to this cycle. If I was you I would go for it because you never know what could happen........the odds are against you but at least you will have some experience with the application process.

This does not mean that you should drop a couple of grand on twenty schools though. Just pick the ones that you really want to go to and that you feel you would have a fighting chance at.

Just like the other guy said....."follow your heart." I wish you the best of luck.

Agree 100%

Ya'll are great! I've come to the realization that it is going to be incredibly difficult to have my app in on time. I was only applying to UAB (my state school) and their deadline is December 5. I looked on my ADSAS app and it'll take 4-6 weeks for transcript verification. So it'll have to be next year. Thanks again so much!

There's an old saying, for what it's worth: "Measure twice, cut once."
Apply whenever you can put your best foot forward. If that doesn't work, then go from there.