HY Cell and Mol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viostorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there was a lot of discussion about HY Cell and Mol, how it was too much info and people were going to use the old one.

I have the old and the new and decided to go with the new. I'm not anywhere close to done but I think it is awesome. It really integrates a lot of stuff: neuroanatomy, pharm, biochem.

I'd highly recommend it. I got at least 3 questions right last night on QBank just from the first two chapters I read.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there was a lot of discussion about HY Cell and Mol, how it was too much info and people were going to use the old one.

I have the old and the new and decided to go with the new. I'm not anywhere close to done but I think it is awesome. It really integrates a lot of stuff: neuroanatomy, pharm, biochem.

I'd highly recommend it. I got at least 3 questions right last night on QBank just from the first two chapters I read.
just curious - do u think u would have gottem them wrong if u read the old version?

just curious - do u think u would have gottem them wrong if u read the old version?

Yes, just because they were integrations between pharm and mol bio. They were receptors/drugs questions. Sometimes in pharm I've been guilty of just memorizing.

I guess if you are good at all the other subjects its not worth it ... but for me it is really pulling together concepts.

Their new version is pretty much overkill. I only say that because they have lengthened their signal transduction chapter to include an insane amount of drugs (which is good to integrate) but then they throw in 3-5 chapters on viruses. The advantage of the old version used to be the ability to get through it in a day but this new version is really tough to do the same for.

Of course when I will review some pharm, i will use the new version and when reviewing viruses I will do the same. but if you want to just focus on cell/molecular, then the old version is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
the small one is very good. the molecular bio is a lot harder to remember if you learn it fragmented into little bits, so its nice to have it all in one place!

When I took step 1, 2 years ago, they only had the small one. So I guess it is good enough.

yes but, that was 2 yrs ago......aren't recent examinees saying that the cell and mol bio in step 1 is beefed up?

It may be beefed up in molecular cell bio, but they are still going to test you on the bread and butter stuff that has been proven to be true not on the cutting edge experimental that is still debated.

I just took step 1 2 months ago, and I had briefly skimmed through the new HY cell and molec bio (it was too much to read it thoroughly and expect to remember much) and don't think the level of cell and molec bio knowledge tested in my exam was nearly as high as it was in HY. I would have read the shorter one in more depth if I could go back and do it again. But, that's just my experience, and everyone's test differs.