HY Molecular Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've read about 20 pages of the 2007 version, and this book makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It's actually making me panic --- and I majored in this stuff. It seems way too detailed! How are other people getting through it? I'm seriously thinking about buying the older version. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I've read about 20 pages of the 2007 version, and this book makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It's actually making me panic --- and I majored in this stuff. It seems way too detailed! How are other people getting through it? I'm seriously thinking about buying the older version. Any advice?

i read the older version... it was so short, i got through it so fast. it was the easiest read ever. i haven't taken step 1 yet, so i dont know if the older version's better...

I considered myself to be relatively weak in molecular and after spending 2-3 days w/ the old version and learning those 100 pages inside and out I was able to answer just about any question I saw from several practice question sources. I don't I think I would have even made 20 pages in the old version based upon my quick look in the bookstore. Take that for whatever its worth....hopefully it will be enough...

New version sucks, get the old one, I ended up not using the new version.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the new version and I just skim over sections that are just wayy too detailed. Basically, if it's not in FA, I read the section to make sure ive been exposed to it, but I won't make an effort to commit it to memory. I mean really, do you have to have a chapter on every transporter in the body? lol...

New version sucks, get the old one, I ended up not using the new version.

Completely agree.

You could study ONLY molecular bio for Step I and they'd STILL make up a couple of mind-blowing questions about proteins that were discovered last week and techniques still in the "theoretical" stage. :D

I'm using the new version and I just skim over sections that are just wayy too detailed. Basically, if it's not in FA, I read the section to make sure ive been exposed to it, but I won't make an effort to commit it to memory. I mean really, do you have to have a chapter on every transporter in the body? lol...
I agree, the new one is a LOT more comprehensive than the older ed but at the same time, its got new stuff in it - mol bio techniques especially (an entire chapter dedicated to it! I used to hate this area until I read this chapter, made mol bio technique questions a lot easier to answer)

you just have to know which parts to ignore/skip, skim, read once, commit to memory (in that order)

2 years of Med School should have honed those skills I would think
exactly! after reading monsters like robbins path, you should get pretty good at knowing whats relevant and whats fluff - for example, that page with the 50 diff types of channels........seriously, noone in their right mind should be committing stuff like that to memory, its a waste of time and space, so when you come to sections like that, you skip/skim it........but when you get to sections like the one on hox genes/operons etc, thats the type of info you should feel comfortable explaining to someone else

reading it right now and feel like shooting myself

my school sucked at teaching us this stuff, FA is totally freakin unorganized and so i have no idea what to memorize at this point and what to skim....

somebody please put me out of my misery

BTW, i am NOT spending more than 2 days on this stuff....it just sucks that bad :thumbdown:

I feel you guys. A 200 page "review" book?! And 40 pages of it devoted to viruses....WHY?

The last few chapters are really cool, though. :thumbup: