Mar 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I am currently trying to get through HY, but its taking much longer than i expected. I am using the Taus plan, but I am wondering if we have to know the intricacies of the pathways. I know the important ones for the spinal cord lesions.

But how about the trigeminal system and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd order neurons for each pathway? its not really in 1st aid, except for the general V1, V2, V3.

I am using the TAUS may someone can please explain how detailed you are annotating since this is the only time you will go through it.

Thanks!

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think FA neuro has gotten much better since Tau's day and I think annotating FA for neuro is a big waste of time. The way I approached HY neuro is to read it once in its entirety. Then read it again before the exam and just look at the "Key Concepts" and answer them. Draw some diagrams and read FA neuro. I feel like annotating another BOOK into FA is a waste of time since it's already in print format. Maybe mark a few pages but to annotate? I mean are you going to annotate Goljan too?

DoctorBob

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Status
Medical Student
OP,

I use the HY neuro book to clarify points and also if I find something missing entirely from FA, I make a note in FA including the subject matter and the page number in which it can be found. This allows me to refer back to it in a quick manner.

For me, annotations are a part of the learning process. Consolidating information from other books (biochem) and incorporating it into an outline (FA) has helped me a great deal. Everyone is different though, so if you learn by just reading, then just read it and forget the annotations.