hybrid anesthesia/pain - new vs established patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bubaghanush

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning,

I am in a hybrid anesthesia/pain practice. Let's say a patient had an anesthestic from an anesthesiologist (100% anesthesia) in our practice one year ago. I see them in clinic for the first time. Is this a new or established patient?

Thank you
 
Good morning,

I am in a hybrid anesthesia/pain practice. Let's say a patient had an anesthestic from an anesthesiologist (100% anesthesia) in our practice one year ago. I see them in clinic for the first time. Is this a new or established patient?

Thank you
New, different specialty
I posted similar question a while back

Just b/c anesthesiologist does a knee surgery in ortho practice doesn’t mean pain guy has to bill as follow up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The answer to your question is "it depends". You would need to have a deeper understanding of how you and the anesthesia guy are credentialed to know how you can bill. Here's a link that outlines it very well.


Great link, thank you. I am in a large academic hospital practice. So as I understand I should be able to bill new in my example, but if one of the anesthesiologists is also pain credentialed like me and gives the patient an anesthetic, then I'd have to bill follow up in the pain clinic.
 
100% agree. Hold their feet to the fire, be willing to do the work yourself to find the truth before you challenge them, and let them know that you're watching. This will keep them working at a high level. Goal should be to collect 96% or more of allowable charges. Industry standard is 92% I believe, been a while since I checked.