1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

hydrosondone/acetaminophen mechanism of action

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by cinboston, Nov 13, 2005.

1. cinboston

cinboston New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Can anyone explain to me what is the mechanism of action for hydrocodone/ acetaminophen ?
    By The way, I read this stastement but could not understand what it really means "Hydrocodone is a µ-opiate receptor agonist. Opiate analgesics also alter the emotional response to pain. The stimulatory effects of opioids are the result of 'disinhibition' as the release of inhibitory neurotransmitters such as GABA and acetylcholine are blocked"
    Thank you so much for any help .

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Basically it's an analog of morphine. That mu receptor they allude to is a thing in your CNS that the hydrocodone molecules bind to. After they bind to the mu receptor your brain is signaled to do other stuff that results in a response of decreased pain, increased euphoria, decreased vagal tone (less movement of stuff through you GI tract), etc.

4. kwakster928

kwakster928 A Legal Drug Dealer
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    WVU Pharm is right. MOA of acetaminophen is still unknown. but it is a wonderful drug if taken properly. you probably know it has antipyretic and analgesic proproperties. Some argue that acethaminophen work in CNS or some say it works by inhibiting some isoform of COX enzyme. if you find this out, you will will a Nobel prize my friend. :laugh:

5. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    COX3 is what they say in class.

Where's my Nobel?