hydrosondone/acetaminophen mechanism of action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinboston

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what is the mechanism of action for hydrocodone/ acetaminophen ?
By The way, I read this stastement but could not understand what it really means "Hydrocodone is a µ-opiate receptor agonist. Opiate analgesics also alter the emotional response to pain. The stimulatory effects of opioids are the result of 'disinhibition' as the release of inhibitory neurotransmitters such as GABA and acetylcholine are blocked"
Thank you so much for any help .

Members don't see this ad.

Basically it's an analog of morphine. That mu receptor they allude to is a thing in your CNS that the hydrocodone molecules bind to. After they bind to the mu receptor your brain is signaled to do other stuff that results in a response of decreased pain, increased euphoria, decreased vagal tone (less movement of stuff through you GI tract), etc.

WVU Pharm is right. MOA of acetaminophen is still unknown. but it is a wonderful drug if taken properly. you probably know it has antipyretic and analgesic proproperties. Some argue that acethaminophen work in CNS or some say it works by inhibiting some isoform of COX enzyme. if you find this out, you will will a Nobel prize my friend. :laugh:

kwakster928 said:
WVU Pharm is right. MOA of acetaminophen is still unknown. but it is a wonderful drug if taken properly. you probably know it has antipyretic and analgesic proproperties. Some argue that acethaminophen work in CNS or some say it works by inhibiting some isoform of COX enzyme. if you find this out, you will will a Nobel prize my friend. :laugh:
COX3 is what they say in class.

Where's my Nobel?