Hypercalcemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why does hyperthyroidism cause hypercalcemia?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Upon a quick search (hypercalcemia), Wikipedia says hyperthyroid --> high bone turnover rate, which in turn would lead to a hypercalcemic state. That might give you something to go on?

Initially your question boggled me too, since hyperthyroid may lead to more calcitonin which would have the opposite effect, but apparently the bone turnover cancels out/overrules the calcitonin perhaps?

yup, i found this on pubmed:

"Hyperthyroidism is often associated with hypercalcemia which is provoked by osteoclastic activity of the thyroid hormones."

jeez, who knew?:oops:

We either a) never covered that in my courses thus far or b) it was part of 1st year that I've forgotten. Oh, evil Step I...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is correct, but hyperthyroidism leads to an increased metabolic rate and increased basal body temperature. IL-1 is an endogenous pyrogen that increases basal body temperature. IL-1 is also osteoclast activating factor which would of course lead to hypercalcemia.

Anyone want to check if IL-1 is the mechanism by which thyroxine increases basal body temp?

Also, the positive and negative feedback loops are hampered by the uncontrolled and excessive release of the thyroid hormones. Perhaps this explains why the calcitonin effect is negligible.

We were actually taught that essentially calcitonin is a vestigial hormone; obscene excess or deficiency doesn't really cause disease

^^^I saw that part on Wiki, but couldn't remember (yes OR no) if we covered it in class and didn't want to throw that out there and look like a fool. It does sound vaguely familiar though.

IL-1 huh? I may have to look into that later today (as a procrastination device, of course)

^^^I saw that part on Wiki, but couldn't remember (yes OR no) if we covered it in class and didn't want to throw that out there and look like a fool. It does sound vaguely familiar though.

IL-1 huh? I may have to look into that later today (as a procrastination device, of course)

i learned about the IL-1 (osteoclast activating factor) relationship from goljan audio lectures. I never even thought about that when thinking about hypercalcemia...and my exam is 2 days away:scared: