Hyperfocusing when taking practice tests / not reading thoroughly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Technorino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I stop myself from focusing on that one stupid problem that takes up 6 minutes of my time because I keep going back and forth trying to see if i actually got it or i did something wrong?

What I've noticed on the PS sections is that I tend to super focus on some problems and therefore leave 12 minutes to answer the last 20 questions out of the 77. Granted I get about 80% of those 20 right, I need to save time. What do I do?

Also with the PS section, I tend to look at the question, KNOW the answer and then go back to the passage....overthink/overread the information given in the passages and then go back to the question and select the wrong answer even though in the back of my mind I am saying "****."

With the BS section, I tend to UNDERread the passages and miss important details by the end of the passages and some key details throughout.

I also take ADHD medication so this might be a factor but I am not sure what it's doing. I see that I start getting more and more questions wrong after the 45 question mark....till the 77th question.

Any tips? Thanks.

Edit: this is for the 77 question sections in the "R" / "revised" tests. They may be old or new. I'm not sure but they have 77 questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do I stop myself from focusing on that one stupid problem that takes up 6 minutes of my time because I keep going back and forth trying to see if i actually got it or i did something wrong?

What I've noticed on the PS sections is that I tend to super focus on some problems and therefore leave 12 minutes to answer the last 20 questions out of the 77. Granted I get about 80% of those 20 right, I need to save time. What do I do?

Also with the PS section, I tend to look at the question, KNOW the answer and then go back to the passage....overthink/overread the information given in the passages and then go back to the question and select the wrong answer even though in the back of my mind I am saying "****."

With the BS section, I tend to UNDERread the passages and miss important details by the end of the passages and some key details throughout.

I also take ADHD medication so this might be a factor but I am not sure what it's doing. I see that I start getting more and more questions wrong after the 45 question mark....till the 77th question.

Any tips? Thanks.

77th question?

I'm confused because PS/BS are 52 questions apiece lol..

Give yourself a time limit for answers. Put what you think is the correct answer within, say, 1.5 minutes, and then mark it to come back and look at if you have time.

The old or revised 77 question a piece sectional tests, not sure what they are called but they say 5R...6R...etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Give yourself only a 7 mins a passage. If you don't get something, mark it and come back to it.

I messed up reallll bad because I hyperfocused like that my first test. I didn't finish verbal.

^ im having a real hard time with verbal....oh boy. I hyperfocus right, do about 20 questions straight....all correct...i look at time and i have 20 minutes left for the last 20 questions.....boom shift to speed reading and i end up missing 10 out of the last 20