Hyperplastic vs serrated colonic polyps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baboxxyun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
pathoma says that hyperplasic polyps are serrated and have a saw tooth appearance and are non neoplastic.

However, FA also has an additional type for serrated polyps and are considered pre malignant.

Are these two distinctly different? I tried looking up the two individually but couldn't find anything saying one of the resources were wrong

Members don't see this ad.

pathoma says that hyperplasic polyps are serrated and have a saw tooth appearance and are non neoplastic.

However, FA also has an additional type for serrated polyps and are considered pre malignant.

Are these two distinctly different? I tried looking up the two individually but couldn't find anything saying one of the resources were wrong
I just think that all hyperplastic are benign and all the other ones(hamartomatous and adenomatous) are malignant, but serrated(macroappearance) have bigger malignant potenital. Villous(histology) have bigger malignant potential too.
http://www.medbullets.com/step1-gastrointestinal/10053/colonic-polyps

I checked robbins (which I should have done in the first place instead of the internet lol) and it said they were both serrated on histo but serrated polyps sawtooth appearance extend to the crypts while the hyperplastic sawtooth appearance are limited to the surface.

We just went over this in class during our GI course. Here is what you need to know:

Hyperplastic polyps have epithelial proliferation but NO MALIGNANT potential. They just have decreased epithelial turnover. On histology, they are similar to sessile serrated polyps

Sessile serrated polyps DO have malignant potential. On histology, serration occurs through the ENTIRE crypt length and make a "J" or "L" shape at the bottom. In hyperplastic, the serration is limited to the upper portion of the crypt and do not extend to the base.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Sessile serrated polyps DO have malignant potential. On histology, serration occurs through the ENTIRE crypt length and make a "J" or "L" shape at the bottom. In hyperplastic, the serration is limited to the upper portion of the crypt and do not extend to the base.
And watch out for the villous, it has the worst malignant potential. (think of a "villain")