Step I Hypervolemic hyponatremia

Started by yasminaz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yasminaz

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, why urine osmolality is high and urine sodium concentration low in for example cirrhosis (or heart insuf etc)? I know that aldosterone -> sodium retention and ADH -> water retention but because there is hyponatremia in plasma, I think that more water than sodium should be reabsorpted and so the urine sodium concentration should be high.. Could someone explain this, please 😀
 
Aldosterone will reabsorb Na+ and H2O in DCT----> ADH will reabsorb free H2O in CD----> will lead to very concentrated urine mainly due to urea and other solutes.

Explained quite well here.