Hypochondriac and a career in medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newbie93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I was a child, I have always been a hypochondriac but can't picture myself doing anything other than medicine how ironic. Will pursuing medicine be a bad idea? Will graduating medical school help me get over my fears?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I was a child, I have always been a hypochondriac but can't picture myself doing anything other than medicine how ironic. Will pursuing medicine be a bad idea? Will graduating medical school help me get over my fears?

Oh my god, I think I have that, too!

But yes, I understand the irony. You know, most people become hypochondriacs. Maybe you'll actually learn to manage yours. Seeing a therapist may also be beneficial.

When I was younger, I was an extreme hypochondriac. It went away, but it took a lot of self talk and understanding how the body works to ease myself down.

void0-5.jpeg

Happens to the best of us

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a total hypochondriac. It was especially bad when I was around 10-11 years old, and it occasionally comes back to haunt me. I used to be so terrified of going to the doctor I'd shake and my blood pressure would be through the roof. So I never thought about going into medicine, until I wound up working a few jobs, finding myself interested, and now I'm on my way to medical school in the fall.

So, yes, go for it. I think hypochondriacs make great doctors, because we have a natural interest in diseases (obsession?), we are analytical, and we have a certain sensitivity that we can offer to patients like ourselves.

Just be very careful if you're going to bring it up in your personal statement (I didn't even mention it)... :)

I'm a total hypochondriac. It was especially bad when I was around 10-11 years old, and it occasionally comes back to haunt me. I used to be so terrified of going to the doctor I'd shake and my blood pressure would be through the roof. So I never thought about going into medicine, until I wound up working a few jobs, finding myself interested, and now I'm on my way to medical school in the fall.

So, yes, go for it. I think hypochondriacs make great doctors, because we have a natural interest in diseases (obsession?), we are analytical, and we have a certain sensitivity that we can offer to patients like ourselves.

Just be very careful if you're going to bring it up in your personal statement (I didn't even mention it)... :)
Thanks for sharing! Why do you think being a hypochondriac will hurt my chances of getting into medical school?

Thanks for sharing! Why do you think being a hypochondriac will hurt my chances of getting into medical school?

I never said it would hurt your chances. It didn't hurt mine. Just be sure to spin it in a positive light if you choose to write about it in your PS.

Hypochondriac is mental. It's tough to spin mental into a positive, when it's something related to anxiety.

To be safe, I wouldn't mention it, but then again, I don't remember you ever saying you would, just whether or not medicine will be difficult for you.