Hyprochondriasis in a medical student....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a common thing??

I've been reading soo much lately that I start to self-diagnose myself. I had a pain in my big toe, I thought it might be gout. I had a terrible sore throat a few weeks back and I started a differential....viral, bacterial, inflammation of my pericardium causing irritation.

But I came upon something that may be valid...hypothyroidism. While I was listening to Goljan the other day, he started talking about cholesterol and how it is really good for you. You need it for your cell membranes, making bile acids and salts, and especially steroid hormone synthesis. And I thought to myself that I really don't eat that much cholesterol per day. And at school and at home I have cold-intolerance, I continuosly have to wear a sweater or some long pants or I feel like I'm gonna freeze. I feel fatigued all the time. Lethargic...

Just a thought, I was thinking about eating like an egg or two per day and see how it goes. But I'm scared of driving up my cholesterol levels too high, at the risk of my coronary arteries. Or does eating too much cholesterol to clog your arteries have to take months to years before that happens? What do you think...a few weeks can't hurt, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a common thing??

I've been reading soo much lately that I start to self-diagnose myself. I had a pain in my big toe, I thought it might be gout. I had a terrible sore throat a few weeks back and I started a differential....viral, bacterial, inflammation of my pericardium causing irritation.

But I came upon something that may be valid...hypothyroidism. While I was listening to Goljan the other day, he started talking about cholesterol and how it is really good for you. You need it for your cell membranes, making bile acids and salts, and especially steroid hormone synthesis. And I thought to myself that I really don't eat that much cholesterol per day. And at school and at home I have cold-intolerance, I continuosly have to wear a sweater or some long pants or I feel like I'm gonna freeze. I feel fatigued all the time. Lethargic...

Just a thought, I was thinking about eating like an egg or two per day and see how it goes. But I'm scared of driving up my cholesterol levels too high, at the risk of my coronary arteries. Or does eating too much cholesterol to clog your arteries have to take months to years before that happens? What do you think...a few weeks can't hurt, right?

I've been studying Micro lately and now I feel like I have OCD. I feel like i'll get sick if i eat vegetables or drink milk.

I think it's very common. I had the biggest trouble last week w/ psych when I was diagnosing myself with about 4 different personality disorders at the same time.

Seeing that there's this intense feeling of emptiness and unstable mood (borderline) along with being really sensitive to rejection and having major feelings of inadequecy (avoidant), I also have a complete want to be a perfectionist (OCD) and will not feel secure unless I have my FA nearby (dependent).

I think it's very common. I had the biggest trouble last week w/ psych when I was diagnosing myself with about 4 different personality disorders at the same time.

Seeing that there's this intense feeling of emptiness and unstable mood (borderline) along with being really sensitive to rejection and having major feelings of inadequecy (avoidant), I also have a complete want to be a perfectionist (OCD) and will not feel secure unless I have my FA nearby (dependent).

One of our psych profs said wisely: If you think they all describe you, you're fine. It's when you think that none of them describe you that you have to worry :D

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAH!! Overfiend....SO PERFECT of a post!

Just last night I was talking with my mother and trying to diagnose her "Palpable Purpura" she has now aquired and then she has a "dry ear that wont heal".....pees alot at night...Could loose a little...Im thinking diabetes....

Then I start thinking how I am always cold too!....How we have poor vasculature in our genes....etc etc...

HAHAH! I swear I could make myself silly! I even thought I had Mitral Stenosis today as I couldnt begin to swallow well...Perhaps My Left atrium is dilated and compressing on my esophagus and well...My voice has been hoarse.....

hahahaha
:)

Don't start eating eggs. Your body makes cholesterol. Vegans don't eat any animal products and thus get zero cholesterol. The only supplement they really need is B12. Cholesterol is not recommended. You make enough, any you take in is extra.

... that being said. I'm still a hypochondriac. I did think I had hyper and hypo thyroidism. And borderline personality disorder. I've spent hours listening to my heart with a stethoscope cause I was sure I had a cardiac problem.

... also thyroid hormones aren't steroids... right? So even if you were deficient in cholesterol, you wouldn't have hypothyroidism.

Just go to your primary care doctor and get your TSH checked.

... also thyroid hormones aren't steroids... right? So even if you were deficient in cholesterol, you wouldn't have hypothyroidism.

Just go to your primary care doctor and get your TSH checked.

Uh...thyroid hormones ARE steroid hormones....they have to diffuse across the cell membrane in order to act with its receptor...

Just last night I was talking with my mother and trying to diagnose her "Palpable Purpura" she has now aquired and then she has a "dry ear that wont heal".....pees alot at night...Could loose a little...Im thinking diabetes....

Then I start thinking how I am always cold too!....How we have poor vasculature in our genes....etc etc...

hahahaha
:)

hahaha :laugh:

Its funny to, how since your in the medical field everyone wants your medical advice....degree or no degree...:laugh:

Uh...thyroid hormones ARE steroid hormones....they have to diffuse across the cell membrane in order to act with its receptor...

T3 and T4 does but I read that some thyroid act via G protein receptors.
I doubt it's an iodine deficiency since all salt in the US is iodized.

Unless it's hashimoto which is the most common thyroid disorder in the US.

haha I wouldn't know anything just a MS2 and trying to remember path ahha

good topic since we are learning about thyroid disorders T__T

Is this a common thing??

Yep. Half the dudes in med school suffer from ovarian cysts and ectopic pregnancies during OBGYN. :D
There are a ton of ailments with less than unique symptoms, and so pretty much anything with symptoms of lethargy, flu-like symptoms, chest palpitations, or non-specific pains etc are going to ring close to home. Anyone who spends too much time studying, drinking caffeine, and not getting a good diet or adequate exercise is going to get some of these symptoms. Plan to come down with all sorts of rare diseases before you get used to the fact that it's the patients who are sick, not you.
Look at it this way, at least you can sympathize with your future patients, whatever they come down with, because you will have though you've had it all.

I'm confused. I know they are lipid-soluble and have intracellular receptors, but that doesn't mean they have to be steroids. That just makes them lipid-soluble. Are T3 and T4 made from cholesterol?

I'm confused. I know they are lipid-soluble and have intracellular receptors, but that doesn't mean they have to be steroids. That just makes them lipid-soluble. Are T3 and T4 made from cholesterol?

t3 and t4 aren't made from cholesterol. :D i couldn't tell whether any sarcasm was involved. haha precursor used is tyrosine. :)

Thyroid hormones are NOT steroid hormones. :confused:

Steroid hormones include glucocorticods, mineralocorticoids, androgens, estrogens, and gestagens. But not thyroid hormones.

t3 and t4 aren't made from cholesterol. :D i couldn't tell whether any sarcasm was involved. haha precursor used is tyrosine. :)

Hehe. Actually, there was no sarcasm. The OP sounded so confident that I started doubting myself. If thyroid hormones turned out to be derived from cholesterol, I would probably have to push back my step 1 test date.

Thyroid hormones are NOT steroid hormones. :confused:

Steroid hormones include glucocorticods, mineralocorticoids, androgens, estrogens, and gestagens. But not thyroid hormones.

:confused: I'm totally confused now. I've been reading in my BRS Physiology 4th ed. p. 239 Section E. 1. Steroid (or thyroid) hormone diffuses across the cell membrane and binds to its receptor.

And on the previous page (p.237) Table 7-2. Thyroid hormone is in there with the steroid hormones....so why is it not a steroid hormone? Does it just act like a steroid hormone???:confused:

And, the man, Dr. Goljan himself said something to this nature that you need cholesterol for thyroid hormone (something)....Did anybody else hear this...?

Hehe. Actually, there was no sarcasm. The OP sounded so confident that I started doubting myself. If thyroid hormones turned out to be derived from cholesterol, I would probably have to push back my step 1 test date.

:laugh: All this step 1 studying has got me soo turned around. I feel like I'm going crazy!

overfiend06 said:
I'm totally confused now. I've been reading in my BRS Physiology 4th ed. p. 239 Section E. 1. Steroid (or thyroid) hormone diffuses across the cell membrane and binds to its receptor.

And on the previous page (p.237) Table 7-2. Thyroid hormone is in there with the steroid hormones....so why is it not a steroid hormone? Does it just act like a steroid hormone???:confused:

And, the man, Dr. Goljan himself said something to this nature that you need cholesterol for thyroid hormone (something)....Did anybody else hear this...?

thyroid hormones function act like steroid in the manner described above. Maybe Dr. G said iodine?

you'll both do fine. all the best. :luck:

Is this a common thing??

Isn't thyroid hormone made from aromatic amino acids and Iodine? I think upping your dietary cholesterol won't have much of an effect if you think you're hypothyroid...

hahaha :laugh:

Its funny to, how since your in the medical field everyone wants your medical advice....degree or no degree...:laugh:

Hahah Most Definitely!! Even family members are ready to show me "Parts" they have questions about...Im like Woooo! I dont even have insurance yet! lol

So...Just so I can feel like Im contributing to this thread. I do know that Thyroid Hormones MAKE LDL recepters......Learned that from G-man. So...if you are hypothyroid----you will have less LDL recepters to pick up Cholesterol and if you are hyperthyroid you will have increased synthesis of LDL recepters....
This is IMPORTANT when you are thinking about Atherosclerosis and how you have the LDL receptors on the smooth muscle, etc picking up the good ole cholesterol that comes around to help fix the cell membrane and endothelial damage....to give us the good ole Plaques and Foam cells.... :)

Isn't thyroid hormone made from aromatic amino acids and Iodine? I think upping your dietary cholesterol won't have much of an effect if you think you're hypothyroid...

I think we ALL are clearly not getting enough sleep... :)
Thyroid Hormone is Tyrosine -->Iodinated! :)