I accidentally uploaded new LORs while also re-using LORs from Last Summer. Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last summer I had my ERAS all ready, Personal Statement/MSPE/LORs...

But decided to wait until this year to apply so that I could get my ECFMG certificate (I'm IMG) and try for H1-b visa.

Anyways, I got my LOR writers this summer to just update the date on the LOR, but the content is the same, so they re-uploaded it this summer.

However, I also chose the option on july 1 to 're-use' LORS from last year...so I think ERAS will now have 2 copies of each LOR, just one that is dated July 2011 and the other being dated July 2012.

Is this a big deal? As usual I'm being overly paranoid with ERAS...

PDs won't care will they?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite sure what will happen.

It's possible that each letter will be uploaded into ERAS twice. In that case, when you apply to programs, you'll get to choose which copy of the letter you want to send. Hopefully you'll be able to tell the two apart -- remember that you won't be able to look at the letter itself, just the Letter writer's name, and presumably the day the letter was uploaded. So, if you see 8 letters in ERAS, you'll simply choose which 4 to send.

The other possibility is that when the new letters arrive, ERAS will upload them into the prior slots, and the new letter will replace the old letter. In that case, you'll see only 4 letters in ERAS. If your view of ERAS shows what date the letters were uploaded, it should be really clear that the new letters are in.

So, either way, PD's will only see the new letters. This is not something to worry extensively about.

Well, that's what I thought. That the new letters would replace the old ones, but this is why I'm a bit paranoid, as I just got this email from ERAS today:

"If you have been identified as a repeat applicant at the time you requested a Token for ERAS 2013, you have the option to re-use letters of recommendation. To select which LoRs you wish to reuse, go to the ERAS Support Services section of ECFMG OASIS and click the “List of LoRs from Previous Year” menu item. If you choose to re-use a letter of recommendation through ECFMG OASIS, DO NOT submit an updated letter of recommendation. All letters that you submit will be transmitted the ERAS Post Office. If you plan to submit an updated letter of recommendation, DO NOT select to re-use a letter of recommendation at ECFMG OASIS and use it as a placeholder until you receive an updated letter. If assigned, programs will see all versions of a letter that has been transmitted to the ERAS PostOffice. Make sure to add these letter writers to your electronic list in MyERAS so that they can be transmitted to the ERAS Post Office."

So basically PDs (like yourself) will be seeing 8 letters (4 dated 2011, 4 dated 2012). The content is exactly the same, I just got my LOR writers to update date head for 2012.

Would PDs care about this?

I'll PM you as well regarding this issue. Appreciate your advice (or anyone else's!)

I'm not quite sure what will happen.

It's possible that each letter will be uploaded into ERAS twice. In that case, when you apply to programs, you'll get to choose which copy of the letter you want to send. Hopefully you'll be able to tell the two apart -- remember that you won't be able to look at the letter itself, just the Letter writer's name, and presumably the day the letter was uploaded. So, if you see 8 letters in ERAS, you'll simply choose which 4 to send.

The other possibility is that when the new letters arrive, ERAS will upload them into the prior slots, and the new letter will replace the old letter. In that case, you'll see only 4 letters in ERAS. If your view of ERAS shows what date the letters were uploaded, it should be really clear that the new letters are in.

So, either way, PD's will only see the new letters. This is not something to worry extensively about.