I am a 4th yr and did not apply to any programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutomaTron

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a US medical school in a major city. I didn't apply because I could not decide what I wanted to do. At our school my neurology rotation was scheduled late in my fourth year. I have found neurology to be very interesting and would like to get a spot. Will I be able to scramble into a spot?

Members don't see this ad.

damn. 182 views and no replies.

Hey, we aren't psychic. There will be open spots after the match. People will scramble. Will you be one of them? If you are a US grad from a medical school that doesn't operate out of the back of a truck, your chances are decent. But, do you WANT to scramble? I mean, most places that don't fill end up like that for a reason. Maybe you should just sit out and give next year a shot.

I would think that you are not out in the cold if you scramble, but agreeing with gopherbrain, just beware of the program that you scramble to.

In my opinion, and it is just an opinion, keep that in mind, neurology is not a very competitive speciatly. Of course, for those interested, top programs like Mayo, etc. etc. will fill. For the others, well, who knows, a good solid program might go unmatched due to lack of interest and the noncompetitive status of neurology. But be aware of those horrible programs, ask around about each program that you scramble to.

If you find all to be fruitless, then go do a good solid internship and see if any R-2 spots open up next year.