I am a little worried???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley412

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be starting dental school in the fall and I have been noticing that my hands are a little shakey!!! It is worse when I drink coffee or anything that has caffeine. I am worried that my hands will be to shakey!! I am trying not to stress out too much but I would like to pursue a career in perio and know you need steady hands to perform most of the procedures. Do any of you have this problem or do you have some advice for me????:(

Members don't see this ad.

So I am going to be starting dental school in the fall and I have been noticing that my hands are a little shakey!!! It is worse when I drink coffee or anything that has caffeine. I am worried that my hands will be to shakey!! I am trying not to stress out too much but I would like to pursue a career in perio and know you need steady hands to perform most of the procedures. Do any of you have this problem or do you have some advice for me????:(
See if changing your diet or getting more sleep and exercise will help. Also, don't drink a lot of caffeine and don't worry about specializing until you are in school especially with perio:D.

anyone can improvw their hand skills if they work at it. Less caffine may help though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've shown up to practicals hung over with very little sleep. I was shaking before the exams, and not feeling well. but once the practical started i was fine, and able to reduce the required amount on a crown prep.

So overcoming a shake can be done. even if your hung over.

dont drink coffee and try to relax before exams. i have this problem also and i found that when i calmed myself down i was much better. you will be fine.

My shaking hands have been brought to my attention numerous times by one row instructor. While I think the shakes had more to do with drinking too much coffee and/or being a little freaked that the row instructor was focusing on my hands than any underlying issues, I did just fine in first year operative. Even on the days where I was aware that my hands were shaking, I was able to utilize proper finger rests and complete my preps just fine.

I now know my limits in terms of coffee and try to avoid it all together or limit it on days I'll be in the lab.

For you unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to know if you have a "problem" until you get into the labs/clinics. I don't think you'll have any problems though.