I am a student a "Top 3" Caribbean Med School... ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted868967

I am at a "top 3" school in the Caribbean and I hate it. I personally come from a family of graduates from Caribbean med schools and they have all become very successful doctors in the US. I understand the reasons why people say to avoid the Caribbean at all costs (there's a lot of truth to this!) But I also understand the people who have taken this route. I am in the top 25% of my class and do well (grade-wise) here but I believe there is a lot wrong. I wanted to start this form to give information if you are considering coming to the Caribbean. This is not for everyone! Ask me anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good evening. Maybe my question will not in right place,I will try any way. I am International Medical Graduates from Kazakhstan Eastern Europe. I want to apply to Internship in Jamaica. I know I have to pass CAMC exams part 1 and part 2. Also I know I have to find Observership and Internship then be GP or continue in Residency to get Specialty. Question is how can I fine people who can help me with informations about process or maybe someone already pass throw this route. Thank you for answering
Top 3 are in reference to SGU, Ross, AUC. None of which are in Jamaica and also a Carib student would know absolutely nothing about this in general. Contact thei respective government agencies for answers.

Hi, I am currently wrapping up my Fall semester and need one more semester till I recieve my undegrade degree. I havent taken my MCAT yet. I wanted to do a gap year to just focus on studying. my question here is, I want to become a psychiatrist but not sure of applying to a Carribian school will hurt me down the road if I do attend. My undergrad yearsput me in alot of debt and I do not mind going into more dept for Med school but if It could be avoided that'd be great. What are the cons of attending a carribian med school?

Hi, I am currently wrapping up my Fall semester and need one more semester till I recieve my undegrade degree. I havent taken my MCAT yet. I wanted to do a gap year to just focus on studying. my question here is, I want to become a psychiatrist but not sure of applying to a Carribian school will hurt me down the road if I do attend. My undergrad yearsput me in alot of debt and I do not mind going into more dept for Med school but if It could be avoided that'd be great. What are the cons of attending a carribian med school?
Do not think about Caribbean before even taking the MCAT. Then attempt 2-3 cycles of improvement/remediation before thinking about that route.

Yes, it will hurt you. Psych has exploded in competitiveness lately and the IMG match rate even from decent schools was low.

There are plenty of cons, looking through any of the forum posts will highlight some of them. Main cons are worse match rates, higher attrition, and higher cost.