I am an undergraduate pre-med and my University announced that we will have the option to select Satisfactory grading for courses during the COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1030770

I am an undergraduate pre-med and my University announced that we will have the option to select Satisfactory grading for courses during the COVID-19 pandemic. If we choose to use this option would it be viewed as a negative for our medical school applications? I am guessing it would but do not want to jump to any conclusions. Sorry for posting this twice, I also put it in the pre-DO forum because I am primarily applying to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will definitely be a positive. They would rather see you got a "P" or satisfactory instead of seeing you buckle down through a tough time and get the A you deserve and worked for.

-professional pre-med advisor guy dude man

I think it will definitely be a positive. They would rather see you got a "P" or satisfactory instead of seeing you buckle down through a tough time and get the A you deserve and worked for.

-professional pre-med advisor guy dude man
but is Popeyes really better than chic fila or is KFC the wildcard We've all been waiting for?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an undergraduate pre-med and my University announced that we will have the option to select Satisfactory grading for courses during the COVID-19 pandemic. If we choose to use this option would it be viewed as a negative for our medical school applications? I am guessing it would but do not want to jump to any conclusions. Sorry for posting this twice, I also put it in the pre-DO forum because I am primarily applying to DO schools.
It depends on whether or not the schools know whether or not you had a choice. If it's mandatory, they really can't hold it against you, but, if it's optional and you opt-in and they know it was optional, it's not going to help you. If you can make the election course by course and you only opt-in for some courses, that will be pretty much the same as just telling them you got a C, even though it won't affect your GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
What's your current GPA? Are you applying for next cycle?

Which courses? Some schools understand the extraordinary circumstances, but if you are confident you want the GPA boost (since P/F classes usually do not contribute to the GPA calculation), go for traditional grading.

Which courses? Some schools understand the extraordinary circumstances, but if you are confident you want the GPA boost (since P/F classes usually do not contribute to the GPA calculation), go for traditional grading.
I am not taking any prerequisite courses this semester but some of the courses may boost my DO science GPA. I was considering it because I am somewhat satisfied with my current grades and think the grades I receive this semester may potentially cause my GPA to go down.

My current GPA is a 3.74 and I am applying next cycle primarily DO
I would say go for letter grades unless you think you higher probability of getting more Bs than As.

Reactions: 1 user