I am applying to a new, non-accredited DPT program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody is doing the same thing? Should I really be concerned?

Have you ever heard of a first class graduating from a program that did not receive their accreditation? If so, which program was that and were the students not able sit for the board exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied to one program w/ first grad class in 2013 and another (accepted) that grads frist class this year. Both campus have sister campuses w/ PT programs in other states and are not concerned. Another one is very new (2 yrs) but is a copy of its other program and didn't need to go through the accred. process and wait. Some programs develop their own - different from the sister program. These are the ones that have to go through the process. Have not heard of any that have not been accredited for its first grad class.

I have applied to one program w/ first grad class in 2013 and another (accepted) that grads frist class this year. Both campus have sister campuses w/ PT programs in other states and are not concerned. Another one is very new (2 yrs) but is a copy of its other program and didn't need to go through the accred. process and wait. Some programs develop their own - different from the sister program. These are the ones that have to go through the process. Have not heard of any that have not been accredited for its first grad class.

Thank you for the reply. Anybody else that are doing the same thing? What's your opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe its just me, but applying and possibly attending a prgm that is applying for accredidation and hopes to have it by its first graduating class, or by your graduating year, makes me a little nervous. therefore i dont apply to those prgms. just my preference...

I have an interview at RMUoHP (Utah) in February. They are supposedly gaining accreditation for their first graduating class, which will be in 2012. I am somewhat hesitant to go to a school like this simply due to reputation. Do you think it would be harder to get a job after graduation from a recently accredited school as opposed to a school that's been around for a long time and has established a good reputation?

I like the Utah school due to location (I'm an avid snowboarder), but when it comes down to it, my top priority is getting a good education.

I have an interview at RMUoHP (Utah) in February. They are supposedly gaining accreditation for their first graduating class, which will be in 2012. I am somewhat hesitant to go to a school like this simply due to reputation. Do you think it would be harder to get a job after graduation from a recently accredited school as opposed to a school that's been around for a long time and has established a good reputation?

I like the Utah school due to location (I'm an avid snowboarder), but when it comes down to it, my top priority is getting a good education.

Thank you for replying.

No reputation does not mean bad reputation, right? Yes, education is a priority... so if you feel like this non-accredited school does not provide the tools you need to pass the boards & have you prepare for your future job, then you should not apply there.

Also, I don't think it matters where you graduate from as long as you are licensed. I am currently a PT tech at an orthopedic-sports medicine clinic and our staff comes all around the nation (i.e., USC, KU, Rockhurst University... a physiotherapist from Canada).

I am a current student at RMUoHP and we are not worried in the slightest about gaining accreditation this year. As far as getting a job after graduation, it really just comes down to passing the boards. That is the most important thing in my opinion. I understand the hesitation with attending a new school, for sure, but I feel confident that I will be prepared for the work force with my degree. Any questions, drop me a PM!

I am a current student at RMUoHP and we are not worried in the slightest about gaining accreditation this year. As far as getting a job after graduation, it really just comes down to passing the boards. That is the most important thing in my opinion. I understand the hesitation with attending a new school, for sure, but I feel confident that I will be prepared for the work force with my degree. Any questions, drop me a PM!

Thanks for replying. Just curious, if you are the first class graduating? Also, were there any issues with organization or a delays with your clinical experience since you are in a new program?

Thanks for replying. Just curious, if you are the first class graduating? Also, were there any issues with organization or a delays with your clinical experience since you are in a new program?

I am actually in the 2nd ever class (currently in my 3rd semester). As far as clinicals are concerned, I don't think there has been any problems at all with placement. The 1st class students are all currently out on theirs and, as far as I could tell, it was a smooth process.