1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

I am asking!?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by aspirationMD, Apr 6, 2007.

1. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am positive that it's either been asked, or said MANY times before, but I've searched and I've got studying to do, so, when exactly do you take the MCAT? Is it before you are done with pre-med, is it after? Is there a time frame that is best? If there is a thread that would give me the answers, it would be cool if someone could just point me in the direction rather then point out that the question has been asked already :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rhettoric

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They hold many test dates throughout the year. It's honestly up to you as for when you take it.

Many people take it in their junior year so they can apply during their senior year and matriculate in the fall. Just take it the year before you intend to apply.

4. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Scores are only good for 3 years, so don't take it too early. ​

5. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Take it a year to a year and a half before you plan to matriculate. Earlier in the year is better, because then you can submit your application early in the cycle.

6. aspirationMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Great, just trying to get a feel for things, I'm finishing up my first year pre-med, but I'm also finishing early, so I'm trying to get a feel for timing, making sure I have all the science stuff done before/around the time for testing. Plus I don't want to miss some important cut off dates, or end up applying late etc.

7. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    You'll want to do it around your junior year or that summer right before senior. Just make sure that you have most if not all of your prereqs finished. You'll want to do the best that you can on your MCAT, so why go in unprepared because you didn't take your prereqs?

Also, be careful with your scheduling...since it is both your GPA and MCAT that will get you to the adcoms' attention, you don't want to tank your GPA because you were preparing at the same time for the MCAT and don't give your prereqs the necessary attention.

8. aspirationMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ... exactly why I had to ask, cause I certainly don't want to dive head first into some stuff I barely know anything about! :eek: scary lol I'm hoping to matriculate in '11. I am however anticipating some obstacles and trying to be realistic within the time line, so if I have to wait until '12, so be it!