I am asking!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirationMD

Rookie of the Year
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am positive that it's either been asked, or said MANY times before, but I've searched and I've got studying to do, so, when exactly do you take the MCAT? Is it before you are done with pre-med, is it after? Is there a time frame that is best? If there is a thread that would give me the answers, it would be cool if someone could just point me in the direction rather then point out that the question has been asked already :)

Members don't see this ad.

They hold many test dates throughout the year. It's honestly up to you as for when you take it.

Many people take it in their junior year so they can apply during their senior year and matriculate in the fall. Just take it the year before you intend to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, just trying to get a feel for things, I'm finishing up my first year pre-med, but I'm also finishing early, so I'm trying to get a feel for timing, making sure I have all the science stuff done before/around the time for testing. Plus I don't want to miss some important cut off dates, or end up applying late etc.

You'll want to do it around your junior year or that summer right before senior. Just make sure that you have most if not all of your prereqs finished. You'll want to do the best that you can on your MCAT, so why go in unprepared because you didn't take your prereqs?

Also, be careful with your scheduling...since it is both your GPA and MCAT that will get you to the adcoms' attention, you don't want to tank your GPA because you were preparing at the same time for the MCAT and don't give your prereqs the necessary attention.

You'll want to do it around your junior year or that summer right before senior. Just make sure that you have most if not all of your prereqs finished. You'll want to do the best that you can on your MCAT, so why go in unprepared because you didn't take your prereqs?

Also, be careful with your scheduling...since it is both your GPA and MCAT that will get you to the adcoms' attention, you don't want to tank your GPA because you were preparing at the same time for the MCAT and don't give your prereqs the necessary attention.

... exactly why I had to ask, cause I certainly don't want to dive head first into some stuff I barely know anything about! :eek: scary lol I'm hoping to matriculate in '11. I am however anticipating some obstacles and trying to be realistic within the time line, so if I have to wait until '12, so be it!