I am in a transition period of life, and I could use any advice/thoughts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a somewhat unique situation that I feel I could use a lot of unbiased, outside advice on. I am not sure exactly where I should post this so I plan on posting it within a few areas.

I am currently 29 and have only taken a few college courses, but I am now considering going into Pre-Med...

In order to keep this short and to the point, I will just state the facts about me in a list format and I will answer any additional questions.

Background:
Average high school student, joined Army National Guard at 17 for a program called "high school to flight school" and was selected as a candidate after going through selection process. When I was sent for the flight physical I failed the color vision test, now unqualified for pilot slot.

Stayed in Army National Guard as enlisted person within the aviation branch, spent most of my time on active duty guard.

Spent one year in Iraq, the year we returned home was the year that my enlistment ended.

Went into private aviation industry, despite not having a degree I was able to work my way to the top of the company and made a good income, company was recently acquired by a larger corporate company. (Was good money, but I HATED my job!)

Earlier this year (2016) I almost passed away 6 times due to going into septic shock a couple times among other complications from 2 major emergency surgeries. I spend essentially from February until June in the hospital, turns out all of this was caused by previously misdiagnosed (consequently, untreated) Crohn's disease, now 3 surgeries later I am mostly recovered.

So that is a very short version of my background. Here are the reasons I am considering this new path.

1. I have always been completely fascinated by the human body and its biological processes, specifically as it relates to the human mind and brain. I have spent a lot of money purchasing graduate level textbooks on these subjects and reading them and studying them for fun, I am a nerd with this.

2. The fact that I could develop the professional knowledge and become an expert in these subjects in such a way as to use them in a directly applicable manner in order to help someone recover from disease and illness (helping to heal) is absolutely stimulating to me.

3. I absolutely LOVE solving complex problems, being responsible for the success or failure of my proposed solution, and seeing the results. Specifically, I believe that if I could use this within an applied area of science, the reward would be that much better.

4. I enjoy being a leader and pride myself on always maintaining a very good reputation through strong work ethic, absolute integrity, and relentless determination towards my goal or objective. I believe these character traits would be priceless when it comes to the treatment of any patient. (sounds like a resume, but it is very true of my character!)

5. (More of an inspiration)-During the events of this year my surgeon was one of the most incredible people I had ever met. During his off days he would still come to visit me in my hospital room, when I returned home he personally called my cell phone just to see how I was doing a month later, among several other incredible portraits of his true and amazing character. To be a physician like this guy was would be my absolute aspiration, probably not within the surgical field but in character.

Those are the top five reasons I am looking into this. I know this is a very long road, and I know that you guys don't know me, but I am just trying to see if I am stepping up too late in the game. I know there are other areas within science, but specifically I am more interested in the medical field of science. When I was younger I was slightly interested but two things kept me from REALLY looking into this; my dad was a pilot so that was the path I was going to follow and I was told there was no way to afford medical school.

I do have some self-doubt over all of this, but I have seen where there are people who don't get started until their 40's etc... Again, I know about the long road, I know I need to volunteer to see if this is really for me, etc. Given this information, if you were given a second chance and could start from scratch, how would you proceed?

Thank you guys so much for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone vaguely in the same position you're talking about - mediocre HS student, college dropout, military, civ flying career, hated the job I know approximately where you're at. My advice is to do it. I'm 42 and I cannot imagine a fate worse than going back to the flight line. I'm two years into my undergrad now and very happy with my decision to not look back, keep my head down, keep moving forward, trying to be a better person than I was yesterday, not worrying too much about the micro stuff (causes cancer)...

Take what you've learned and use it - plan the flight, then fly the plan. Wring this site out for all the intel and chart out exactly how you're going to get where you're going. I'm taking the math placement test, I'm choosing this major, I'm rebuilding long dormant study skills. I'm ensuring I've hit all the prerequisite wickets I need to hit, I'm getting this research experience at this point, I'm getting that clinical experience at that point, I'm charting out exactly what it's going to cost to get from Point A to Point B and where the money is coming from. I know when I'm going to be in class, when I'm going to be in study groups, when I'm going to eat, what I'm going to eat.... all that trash.

You know that a successful flight has little to nothing to do with skill or luck. It's all about planning, good judgement, gathering as much info about the path ahead as possible (all the stuff you do before you even walk to the airplane) and then doing the work. Nothing to it. Make it happen (and try to enjoy it along the way).

@trev5150 I sincerely appreciate your reply and the analogy you've given! Makes too much sense! Rather than the flight line I was actually on the business and management end of things and I pure hated working just for the sake of money with no real impact or purpose to our day to day business dealings. VERY UNFULFILLING! I do enjoy flying quite a bit but I don't want to stake my career on a medical, plus there is a difference in flying GA for fun and doing it for work. How are things going for you so far? Is there anything you wish you had known before getting back into undergraduate coursework?

Once again, love the analogy!

Members don't see this ad :)
@trev5150 I sincerely appreciate your reply and the analogy you've given! Makes too much sense! Rather than the flight line I was actually on the business and management end of things and I pure hated working just for the sake of money with no real impact or purpose to our day to day business dealings. VERY UNFULFILLING! I do enjoy flying quite a bit but I don't want to stake my career on a medical, plus there is a difference in flying GA for fun and doing it for work. How are things going for you so far? Is there anything you wish you had known before getting back into undergraduate coursework?

Once again, love the analogy!

Two things: 1- I would have started with the zero level math before attempting engineering grade calculus. My horrible algebra skills have been the bane of my existence for the last two years, and has negatively affected pretty much everything.

2- When I got out of Iraq and the Marine Corps my intent was to go back to school and never go near another airplane again. After a year to the day my entire life and living situation fell apart. Fortunately there was a flying job waiting. I said to myself I'll make a little money (this was before the Post 9/11 GI Bill was created) and no more than a year and I'd be back to it. 11 years later....

That's why I'm saying go and do it now. Don't waste another year of your life. The people you work for won't care either way believe me. The flying business is by nature a temporary existence and people come and go. You'll be replaced and forgotten before the cake goes stale and none of it meant anything to anybody.

Reactions: 1 user
As for where to start, I wouldn''t approach your undergrad education with the mindset of "pre-med," but more of: "I am a insert-whatever-interests-you major also completing the prerequisites/ECs for med school along the way."

Excellent advice.

Major in anything you 1) have a passion for, and 2) can make A's in. Use electives to take the med school pre reqs.

I majored in a foreign language...today am in third year of residency.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, many thanks to you for your service to our country!

Start your road by shadowing some doctors, and volunteering with patients.

Then get this book:

Amazon product

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a somewhat unique situation that I feel I could use a lot of unbiased, outside advice on. I am not sure exactly where I should post this so I plan on posting it within a few areas.