1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

I am not majoring in Science

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KeyLime, Nov 14, 2000.

1. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

Hi-
    I am a 2nd year student at an liberal arts college in Iowa. I am majoring in psychology instead of in science.
    Is this going to harm my chances of getting into med school? I have always wanted to be a doctor, but I don't like the Biology classes at my school enough to devote most of my undergrad classes to it.
    What GPA does one need in order to get into an med school?
    I know that I will have to take Bio. I have already taken some Chem and Bio, and I have 3 semesters of chem and physics to go.
    Do med schools like to see most of their applicants come from science backgrounds?
    Thanks for the input-

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A lot of people successfully apply (and matriculate) coming from non-science backgrounds. Most adcomms tend to look at a somewhat nontraditional background favorably (although premed psych majors are not necessarily all that uncommon). Whatever your major, you need to do well in your premed classes to prove that you can handle the science work. As for GPA stats, probably the best thing to do would be to look at a copy of the latest MSAR guidelines (your undergrad advising office might have one), and check out the average GPAs and MCATs for the schools you might be interested in -- that should give you a good idea of the range you need to shoot for. If you haven't already done so, start looking for some clinical experience/volunteer work to give you a good feel for medicine. Plus, this kind of experience comes up over, and over, and over again on applications.

4. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

Me again-
    I am the student who posted the original topic. I am volunteering in an ER at a busy hospital.

5. ike

ike New Member

Undergrad major is one of the most commonly asked questions. The truth is that your major is one of the least important aspects of your application. As long as you do well in it then they don't care. The only thing is to be able to tell them why you chose it. Best advise is to be as different as possible. (However, if biology is your passion, then go for it.)Most schools can fill up the class with 4.0 Biology majors... but they don't.
    Med schools are training doctors, not research scientists. (Though if research is your goal, a science major will benefit you.)
    Bottom line... Develop yourself as a person, not as a conventional pre-med. Make yourself interesting to talk to.

p.s.- i majored in philosophy and got accepted at 4 different schools.

6. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's about the soundest advice you'll get lilycat. Generally, med schools have a higher percentages of science majors than non-science, but I don't believe that is because the school prefers science majors. It is probably do to the fact tht those interested in medicine are more likely to be interested in science. Major in what you want with complete disregard to med school. Just do well in your studies whatever they are.