I am on the admissions committee...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be interviewing students tomorrow. What are some good questions to ask the candidates?

Members don't see this ad.

at first I thought you were joking...but your join date, and previous posts indicate you probably are a bona fide med student.

Mix it up, ask the basic questions to ease the beginning (why med? etc), don't ask silly questions like "what is your worst trait", or other boring, unoriginal questions which really don't peer deep, rather just hit a barrier.

I personally woud like to be asked ethical situations/problem solving questions with no clear defined answer - e.g. (albeit a really basic one) "(to male) how would you feel if you were a 12 yr old girl who found out she was pregnant?" These questions allow one to break the mould of the regular med questions.

Other good questions would assess the canidates patient/personable skills, "what do you think is the single most important attribute a doctor can have in regards to patient interaction?"

Okay these are very basic questions, but it is late :). I somewhat envy your position. Have fun, be fair with your questions, and be friendly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask kind questions about their pets.

How big is your penis? (great question to ask female applicants)

You are a liar. Have a good time not telling the truth, liar.

Ask them to list reasons why they shouldn't be admitted to your med school. If they say "i'm a perfectionist" tell them to go **** themselves. If they say, "I'm a serial murderer" tell them they'll fit in perfectly.

Then, ask them if they know why man holes are round. If they don't know tell them they are elitist asses and they can never relate to the average person.

lol, the one time where the OP might have actually been serious, and you ask the purpose of man holes? I hope your interviewers ask you that! lol, i'd kill to hear your response...

make up some fake stuff, and ask them if they've ever heard of it.... jk, that's pretty cruel :laugh:

fever5 said:
lol, the one time where the OP might have actually been serious, and you ask the purpose of man holes? I hope your interviewers ask you that! lol, i'd kill to hear your response...

haha

My response would be incredibly boring. I've done asphalt work since I was 15 so I know of 3 major reasons why man hole covers are round. Its funny to say but boring to actually talk about.

you're not kidding are you...?

now you have my interest, aren't they just round because pipes are more or less round, no sharp edges, etc?

fever5 said:
you're not kidding are you...?

now you have my interest, aren't they just round because pipes are more or less round, no sharp edges, etc?

Nope. The most common and most logical answer is that a round cover has a constant radius and thus can't fall in the hole. If the cover were square you could angle it just right and make it fall down into the hole.

The next reason is that the concrete forms are mutch easier to make if they are round.

The third reason, from what I'm told, has to do with the distribution of weight from the traffic above the concrete catch basins and sewer man holes.

Anyway, that is one of Microsoft's "tough questions" that I saw in a book about the hardest interview questions.

monet said:
I will be interviewing students tomorrow. What are some good questions to ask the candidates?

what the hell man. were you not the girl that was 'supposedly' accused of cheating in medical school. and then had the whole allopathic forum giving you advice and crap and you just kept leading everyone on. as i recall, everyone was pretty pissed at you because you just seemed to be egging the whole group on and never really telling us what happened. are you a damn troll or something? were you also not the girl that caught your boyfriend having his penis sucked by another girl and then leading everyone on to the drama that seemed like there never really was an incident as you just vanished and never concluded anything. are you effin' trolling again with this thread?

be gone loser!!

firebody said:
what the hell man. were you not the girl that was 'supposedly' accused of cheating in medical school. and then had the whole allopathic forum giving you advice and crap and you just kept leading everyone on. as i recall, everyone was pretty pissed at you because you just seemed to be egging the whole group on and never really telling us what happened. are you a damn troll or something? were you also not the girl that caught your boyfriend having his penis sucked by another girl and then leading everyone on to the drama that seemed like there never really was an incident as you just vanished and never concluded anything. are you effin' trolling again with this thread?

be gone loser!!

your avatar makes me want to shout out, "whose is this..you don't wanna...beat it...whats my name you dirty wh...don't look at me....oh oh oh zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Members don't see this ad :)
Has the admissions committee neglected to give you any training? I would think that the permanent members might have some more pertinent advice than unknown pre-meds. Just a thought.

how long have you been here? do you remember every post that has ever been posted? how do you have the time for all that?

monet said:

I think it is important to keep the interview somewhat conversational. I feel like some questions should be based on the answers they have previously given you. Let it evolve. I went to an interview where the questions were very scripted and there were a lot of awkward pauses. I also felt like they weren't interested in what I was saying because they didn't continue to remark on the answers I had given them. It gave me a very poor impression of my interviewers and even of the school. I hope this helps. It is always good to make them feel comfortable because then you get a better sense of who they really are. Also keep in mind that the interview plays a big role in the impression the interviewee has about the school.

Psycho Doctor said:
how long have you been here? do you remember every post that has ever been posted? how do you have the time for all that?
Psycho Doctor
2000+ Posts

I think the pot just found the kettle.

Reckoning said:
Psycho Doctor
2000+ Posts

ohhh goodness hahaha

yeah dont ask "if you could be an organ, what organ would you be"

The best possible question to ask at an interview, that will tell you if a candidate will succeed or not with a simple yes or no answer is.......

"If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?"

A question I always ask: Tell me about a mistake you made in your personnel, profession, or academic life. What did you learn from the experience?

PsychoDoctor...if you had read the allo thread about Monet being accused of cheating you would probably have remembered it too. It was quite a saga.

Monet, if you don't mind sharing....how did things work out?

kfilter1 said:
"If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?"

I would. And I think I'd be delicious.

If the moon were made of cheese, wouldja eat it?

Where do babies come from?

Is the moon made of cheese?

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

akimbo said:
I would. And I think I'd be delicious.

If the moon were made of cheese, wouldja eat it?

good. if you said no, i'd have come at you like a tornado of teeth..and..and fingernails.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Has the admissions committee neglected to give you any training? I would think that the permanent members might have some more pertinent advice than unknown pre-meds. Just a thought.

Our admissions office gives the student interviewers a nice fat packet of question dos and donts. I'd be surprised if most, if not all, adcoms did not do the same.

And something to remember -- student interviews carry equal weight as the interview w/ the dean of admissions at some schools -- so don't blow off the interview, just b/c it's with a student.

Reckoning said:
Psycho Doctor
2000+ Posts

hsugh.gif
that's nothing. Go check out Gaia online sometime.

monet said:

You know what, the rest of the admissions committee has the aplicants gpa and mcat scores. Considering the fact that those were adequate enough to get them an interview at your school, you could try to find out things about them that would make them a patient-orientated doctor, a caring compassionate person, someone that can handle medical school on a psychological level, etc. (I figure, your school can always train them the technical and scientific side of medicine, but there isn't enough time to train them correct coping mechanisms or how to be a nice friendly person, that needs to come with them).

For instance:

What is your support system like? Tell me about what you do to handle stress?

Or what is the driving force that caused you to want to be a doctor?

What was your most meaningful service project/experience and why was it the most meaningful to you?

What do your friends and family like most about you? What do they like least about you?

If you had to tell a patients family that their loved one had just died, what would you say?

Who is your favorite role model and why?

If you could go back in time and visit three people, who would it be and why?

What was your most hardest trial in life and how did you handle it?

When you walk into a crowded room what is the first thing that you do?

What if you were trying to get into your top residency and while you are interviewing there, you witness one of the attendings steals something from the cafeteria without paying for it and offers you one too, what would you do?

How do you handle failure? etc.

I hope these help.

monet is a troll. This was the one who posted the story in the allo forum about the cheating on a test and an invigilator turning them in. I hope you did get caught. You led us all down the garden path. We come here for some drama and boy did we get it. Now you're playing with these pre-meds' minds, ok, so they have a little more free time on their hands now.

But at least change your effing name. It's kinda like getting caught all over again!

-S

From another thead in which I pondered what I would do if I was a student interviewer:

Me: (flipping through student file) You're here for.... an interview?

Premed Named Tom: Yeah...

Me: (narrowing eyes at something I'm reading in file) Really? For the med school?

Tom: Ummmm... yeah?

Me: Ok, ok, cool. What's your name again?

Tom: Tom.

Me: It says here your name is Thomas.

Tom: Yeah, I go by Tom.

Me: I'm sure you do.

Tom: ...

Me: I think I'm missing a page of your file, Thomas. Your extracurriculars. I've got... let's see... two years of volunteer work at the nursing home... and then a year of shadowing an ER doc, and then that's the end of the file, so the last couple pages must have gotten torn off somehow.

Tom: .......

Me: Hmmmm. Says here you're a biology major?

Tom: That's right.

Me: Spell "photosynthesis."

Tom: Um. P. H. O...

Me: WRONG.

Tom: What?

Me: Wrong, sorry, you're wrong. Are you gay?

Tom: Um... No...

Me: My loss. (wink) Tell me why you want to be a doctor.

Tom: Ok. Ok, well, ever since I was a little kid, whenever I...

sacrament said:
From another thead in which I pondered what I would do if I was a student interviewer:

Me: (flipping through student file) You're here for.... an interview?

Premed Named Tom: Yeah...

Me: (narrowing eyes at something I'm reading in file) Really? For the med school?

Tom: Ummmm... yeah?

Me: Ok, ok, cool. What's your name again?

Tom: Tom.

Me: It says here your name is Thomas.

Tom: Yeah, I go by Tom.

Me: I'm sure you do.

Tom: ...

Me: I think I'm missing a page of your file, Thomas. Your extracurriculars. I've got... let's see... two years of volunteer work at the nursing home... and then a year of shadowing an ER doc, and then that's the end of the file, so the last couple pages must have gotten torn off somehow.

Tom: .......

Me: Hmmmm. Says here you're a biology major?

Tom: That's right.

Me: Spell "photosynthesis."

Tom: Um. P. H. O...

Tom: What?

Me: Wrong, sorry, you're wrong. Are you gay?

Tom: Um... No...

Me: My loss. (wink) Tell me why you want to be a doctor.

Tom: Ok. Ok, well, ever since I was a little kid, whenever I...

:laugh: :laugh:
nice. very nice.

I was talking to firebody who obviously has changed his name many times. He seems to know everythign that has gone on here for years.

TheProwler said:
hsugh.gif
that's nothing. Go check out Gaia online sometime.

there are so many people with so many more posts than me. And I have not been here following this board for years. i basically am here for the medical application process, not the fun and games as so amny others seem to be.

Psycho Doctor said:
there are so many people with so many more posts than me. And I have not been here following this board for years. i basically am here for the medical application process, not the fun and games as so amny others seem to be.

psycho...you need a hug man. and a nice cold beer. but you probably don't drink. or relax.

Psycho Doctor said:
I was talking to firebody who obviously has changed his name many times. He seems to know everythign that has gone on here for years.

like i said before...you are still a jedi in training. :thumbup:

I would pay major bank to see a reality based tv show in which firebody and psycho doc were roommates in med school. That would be funny as ****. Psycho doc has enough pathology and crises for an entire med school class.

how about if you ask them for some good idea's on how to get away with cheating during exams? maybe you could pick up some useful knowledge, douche.

"what's your favorite swear word?"

Anyone who drops the F-bomb w/o hesitation is in. :)

stoic said:
how about if you ask them for some good idea's on how to get away with cheating during exams? maybe you could pick up some useful knowledge, douche.

There was this huge cheating incident at my school last yr in orgo (that's why this yr it is very strict in grading) but there was this girl who found out the people who were doing very very well in the class, and found out which ones took the test at the same place as her. What she did was sign in, and then wait until the person she was targetting get up to hand in that person's test (usually with 80+ kids also going to hand in their papers too) and what this girl did was steal that target person's test, tore out the cover page and put her cover page on it and stapled it and turned it in as her own. Of course, the target person after the test was all handed back didn't get a test, but because they did so well, the TAs said not to worry, that if they had lost her test then they would average out the other test.

So, during the Final, this girl did the same thing to this guy. Apparently, she got a 100, but the Professor in the class called in this guy to be questioned for cheating. Because he had done so well on his other tests, he cheated and didn't do the final even if he did sign in so that they would have to average out his other tests and essentially get an A without having taken the final. So, the Prof. calls in this guy somehow, and he was intoxicated, and accused him of the above, and this guy kept saying no. so, he ended up taking another final exam while drunk, and got a 96. What happened was, they ended up comparing his handwriting with all the other tests that did really well, and lo and behold, the exact handwriting on this girl's test. They looked back, and they did find that they were missing one test every single time. Suffice it to say, this girl was kicked out at my institution...she got too greedy, because they always return prelims, but always keep finals...

Are you telling me that neither the TAs nor other students saw this girl take a test out of the test box, pull out a stapler, and switch the tests pages??? I mean even with a bunch of people going up to hand their test in, how do you miss that? I'm glad she finally got caught and kicked out of school though. Cheaters suck :mad:

tinkerbelle said:
Are you telling me that neither the TAs nor other students saw this girl take a test out of the test box, pull out a stapler, and switch the tests pages??? I mean even with a bunch of people going up to hand their test in, how do you miss that? I'm glad she finally got caught and kicked out of school though. Cheaters suck :mad:

we didn't have a test box until this year. And what was funny was her TA was talking to her when she handed in the tests, and didn't notice anything!

Damnit Jim! said:
I would pay major bank to see a reality based tv show in which firebody and psycho doc were roommates in med school. That would be funny as ****. Psycho doc has enough pathology and crises for an entire med school class.

huh? pathology? I'm like never sick. and i also don't have any crisis either...what the heck are you talking about? I'm probably more calm right now than all of you put together.

stoic said:

i don't cheat on exams; whatever gave you the impression that i would? :smuggrin:

Quynh2007 said:
There was this huge cheating incident at my school last yr in orgo (that's why this yr it is very strict in grading) but there was this girl who found out the people who were doing very very well in the class, and found out which ones took the test at the same place as her. What she did was sign in, and then wait until the person she was targetting get up to hand in that person's test (usually with 80+ kids also going to hand in their papers too) and what this girl did was steal that target person's test, tore out the cover page and put her cover page on it and stapled it and turned it in as her own. Of course, the target person after the test was all handed back didn't get a test, but because they did so well, the TAs said not to worry, that if they had lost her test then they would average out the other test.

So, during the Final, this girl did the same thing to this guy. Apparently, she got a 100, but the Professor in the class called in this guy to be questioned for cheating. Because he had done so well on his other tests, he cheated and didn't do the final even if he did sign in so that they would have to average out his other tests and essentially get an A without having taken the final. So, the Prof. calls in this guy somehow, and he was intoxicated, and accused him of the above, and this guy kept saying no. so, he ended up taking another final exam while drunk, and got a 96. What happened was, they ended up comparing his handwriting with all the other tests that did really well, and lo and behold, the exact handwriting on this girl's test. They looked back, and they did find that they were missing one test every single time. Suffice it to say, this girl was kicked out at my institution...she got too greedy, because they always return prelims, but always keep finals...

wow, that's terrible. what school? what prof? is it Cornell? That's the only school i know that calls exams prelims.

tinkerbelle said:

yes they do suck and I can not believe no one could notice either.

Quynh2007 said:
we didn't have a test box until this year. And what was funny was her TA was talking to her when she handed in the tests, and didn't notice anything!

wait i see you are from Ithaca, NY...so Cornell? unbelievable! which semester was this? she deserves to be thrown out

What color is the sky?
If a woodchuck could chuck wood...?
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Would you eat a poop hot dog in order to gain acceptance to our med school?

All of these are fair game. As are the following:

How many threads have you killed?
Did you find your broken antenna?

:thumbup:

scooter31 said:
What color is the sky?
If a woodchuck could chuck wood...?
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Would you eat a poop hot dog in order to gain acceptance to our med school?

All of these are fair game. As are the following:

How many threads have you killed?
Did you find your broken antenna?

:thumbup:
and what does this have to do with anything?

Response to the OP query